Survive Anything!

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Crusak

Re: Survive Anything!

Post by Crusak » March 17th, 2012, 5:40 am

* BONK * this was an interesting day. Talk about finding out the limits of your endurance, the hard way. :) I always have one of these tarps in my pack.

Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

rick6003

Post by rick6003 » March 17th, 2012, 6:36 am

Interesting, I've been using these little cubes that are easy to light.Mostly I light one when I stop for lunch. It burns about 8 minutes and provides a little warmth for your hands. It supposedly will boil water with the little stove but I just set it on a rock now. No, residue when gone.

I got it at REI

Roy

Post by Roy » March 17th, 2012, 3:41 pm

its rare to see someone mention the weather when it comes to survival. weather rules most of my outdoor activities and study it constantly I do not worry much at places like low level gorge and coast range hikes.

i always wonder do most just go to trail heads -oh it is raining whats the forecast and whats the freezing level, how much snow fell last week at what elevations?will i be up to my hips.

just curious I have two huge tupperware tubs of stuff in my garage take what i need by what the weather dictates or i change plans.i guess i have always been a weather nerd tho.

with the cool stuff available hard not to figure it out and plan ahead.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

mayhem

Post by mayhem » March 17th, 2012, 6:10 pm

Crusak wrote:* BONK * this was an interesting day. Talk about finding out the limits of your endurance, the hard way. :) I always have one of these tarps in my pack.

Bammm! I get knocked down but get back up again!!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » March 18th, 2012, 10:17 am

:) Wouldn't it be neat to have a light weight survivor suit? Kind of like the survivor suits that off shore fishermen/Coast Guard have, but totally suitable for land use? Can you imagine the lives that would be saved? From mountaineering to the person stranded in a snow stuck car. One that would have a low cost emergency gps beacon attached, and light survival items in the pockets. Costs starting at $79.99 for Hiker/Backpacker/Hunter use and more expensive ones for Mountaineering/Wilderness/Aircraft use.

Anyone have ideas? Maybe we all could start a Land User Survivor Suit company! :lol: :P

Will
(ForestKeeper)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 18th, 2012, 10:25 am

ForestKeeper wrote::) Wouldn't it be neat to have a light weight survivor suit? Kind of like the survivor suits that off shore fishermen/Coast Guard have, but totally suitable for land use? Can you imagine the lives that would be saved? From mountaineering to the person stranded in a snow stuck car. One that would have a low cost emergency gps beacon attached, and light survival items in the pockets. Costs starting at $79.99 for Hiker/Backpacker/Hunter use and more expensive ones for Mountaineering/Wilderness/Aircraft use.

Anyone have ideas? Maybe we all could start a Land User Survivor Suit company! :lol: :P

Will
(ForestKeeper)
There's a great entrepreneurial opportunity for us! Time to start wooing investors. :)

I just went back and read some of the comments in this thread. I suppose that maybe there was some misunderstanding here and there... I didn't post the link to this article from outdoorlife.com as the 'perfect, only, best' concept for survival planning. I just thought that (given the 'non-hiking' source) it gave a different perspective on the subject, and sometimes I think we can get some useful information from different lines of thinking. If it was an article written by a PCT thru-hiker I'm sure the lists would have been much different!

As I mentioned earlier, I try to read a lot of different things, and see if there isn't a useful idea or two in them.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » March 31st, 2012, 7:38 am

ForestKeeper wrote:
Anyone have ideas?

(ForestKeeper)
That's a dangerous question.

As long as this suit comes in assorted flavors and colors.... people need choices ya know. Heck, the important thing here is to color coordinate the suit with finger nail polish everybody wears for this special occasion.

Hey now, let's also make sure this suit is "Forest Service Approved" so they can add to the impassable regulatory quagmire they've created and make some big money too!!

Now I've given away all my great ideas :idea:
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Roy

Post by Roy » March 31st, 2012, 9:42 am

windmtnpete wrote:
ForestKeeper wrote:
Anyone have ideas?

(ForestKeeper)
That's a dangerous question.

As long as this suit comes in assorted flavors and colors.... people need choices ya know. Heck, the important thing here is to color coordinate the suit with finger nail polish everybody wears for this special occasion.

Hey now, let's also make sure this suit is "Forest Service Approved" so they can add to the impassable regulatory quagmire they've created and make some big money too!!

Now I've given away all my great ideas :idea:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sadly tv has become a good friend the last few months i discovered a show i had never seen Star Trek the next generation. they have a thing called the halo deck where they do all kinds of stuff in living virtual reality.if they get in trouble the computer shuts the program down.

so we could climb Everest, do an ultra marathon, ski off the summit of Hood, run around the the Kings Elk loop trying to best your time (mayhem) or just relaxing day hike on a bluebird Indian summer day.

trouble comes up snap your a doorway from your living room ;)
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » March 31st, 2012, 4:50 pm

;) I wasn't joking though. Somehow, have a light weight material that would be somewhat waterproof on the outside, while have some sort of emergency blanket material on the inside for warmth. A type of jumpsuit that would be used in an extreme emergency, and if, to at least, prolong death. Have a few breast pockets filled with inexpensive hand/feet warmers, waterproof/windproof matches, small first aid kit, an eight ounce packet of water, and a packet of freeze dried fruit/nuts. Maybe on one of the pant legs, have a out seam pocket with a small aerial
flare that could be used to signal a rescue copter or be used as a source of heat. And a small gps locating device fastened around the hood.It wouldn't have to be overly expensive, just in the $100 range for backcountry use. Mountaineers, pilots and SAR's would have a slightly more expensive unit do to severe weather exposure.

If I were actually smart with a pocket full of cash, this might be something to venture into. But, maybe it's only a dream. Maybe someone in the apparel business would like to venture into this. :)

Will

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » March 31st, 2012, 5:10 pm

Hey Jim,

In response to the Outdoor Life kit, in pertaining to the local plant life, would over-the-counter skin rash medicine/ointment be a good addition for poison oak/ivy??? I was hiking with my stepson, about 10 years ago, near I-84 East, MP 52, trying to off trail to the old scenic highway that seems to be near the top of a rock face/cliff wearing shorts and a tank top (it was mid August) and while going through the brush, both of us started getting itchy on the knees, legs and arms. Turned out to be poison oak. We didn't have anything to put on it so after the hour drive home, we were covered.... :cry: :cry:

ForestKeeper