Survive Anything!

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Crusak

Survive Anything!

Post by Crusak » March 16th, 2012, 11:19 am

I just read an interesting article at outdoorlife.com about survival kits. They list out and discuss a few different kinds of survival kits, for different scenarios. The only item I questioned for sure was the 'snake bite kit' - I've heard that those aren't the best way to treat a snake bite. Otherwise I like many of the suggested gear items for use in emergencies. I think I usually have just about everything they recommend in my pack, with a few exceptions.

Check it out for yourself, if you like. :)

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/sur ... page=0%2C0

Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Grannyhiker

Re: Survive Anything!

Post by Grannyhiker » March 16th, 2012, 6:22 pm

A whole lot of unneeded heavy junk, IMHO.

Here are a couple of articles about the "Ten" Essentials which all dayhikers should carry:
http://sectionhiker.com/day-hikers-ten-essentials-guide
http://www.backpacking.net/ten-essl.html

Remember that when backpacking you generally have your food, water, shelter, insulation, rain gear with you--you are already self-contained. Some may want to take an extra day's food. I take some for my dog, but not for me (I have enough, shall we say extra internal weight, to survive for many days). You don't need to take more than you already have unless you are setting up a base camp and going day-hiking. In that case you need what is recommended for day hikers while you're away from your camp.

EDIT, LATER: I thought I got the second link fixed, but evidently not! It is now correct instead of a duplicate of the first.
Last edited by Grannyhiker on March 18th, 2012, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 16th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:A whole lot of unneeded heavy junk, IMHO.
To a certain extent I would agree. ;) I wouldn't put a survival kit together exactly like they did either. And like you said, many of those things would already be in my pack if I was day hiking or backpacking. Some things they mentioned sounded like my gear - like fire starters - I carry two 'Light My Fire Firesteel' and matches and a windproof lighter at all times. I also have two or three light pocket knives. But the portable radio, snakebite kit, and other silly items - no. :lol:

The article seemed to be geared to different scenarios (hunting, fishing, hiking, etc) so in some cases you might not be packing a lot of stuff (especially when out fishing). Like anything else, I gave it a read, and took a gold nugget or two from the article.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 16th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Not enough weapons for my taste, I want to survive ANYTHING!!

:D

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 16th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Not enough weapons for my taste, I want to survive ANYTHING!!

:D

Eric, you should start with the M4A1 carbine with ACOG scope and M203 grenade launcher. That'll keep you warm at night.

(Actually right now I'm shopping for a complete semi-auto rifle setup - chambered in 5.56mm round, with a few accessories... just have to convince my wife that it is necessary before the zombie apocalypse) I'll take two of these, please.

:lol:
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Roy

Post by Roy » March 16th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Not enough weapons for my taste, I want to survive ANYTHING!!
i agree survival kit yo its my head :lol:

seriously what i carry depends on what i am doing . Hamilton Mt , dog ,eagle cr ect i might go pack less on a warm summer morning.nothing like the freedom of shorts t shirt and runners.

weather distance, remoteness make a difference. always have 2 light sources, ace bandage. first aid kit bottle of water and a couple of energy bars in my pack. more as i feel needed.

never see ace bandages mentioned they are so versatile help with direct pressure on a bad cut,sprains even make a shoulder sling they weigh nothing take up no room.the ones in most first aid kits are a joke to small. small knife and whistle are in my first aid kit.

and extra double a's for camera.

its all what your comfortable with but busy trails with lots of people seems help would be swift IMO.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 16th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Roy wrote:seriously what i carry depends on what i am doing . Hamilton Mt , dog ,eagle cr ect i might go pack less on a warm summer morning.weather distance, remoteness make a difference. always have 2 light sources, ace bandage. first aid kit bottle of water and a couple of energy bars in my pack.

never see ace bandages mentioned they are so versatile help with direct pressure on a bad cut,sprains even make a shoulder sling they weigh nothing take up no room.the ones in most first aid kits are a joke to small. small knife and whistle are in my first aid kit.

and extra double a's for camera.

its all what your comfortable with but busy trails with lots of people seems help would be swift IMO.
excellent points. when I'm day hiking solo, I carry much more, basically a crude overnight setup. and I usually have an extra bit of food. I like your idea about ace bandages - could be used for all sorts of things, even non-injury uses. I also got used to carrying extra gear when I'm solo just for the sake of exercise. :)

I have this lanyard on me at all times and on all hikes:
lanyard (600x800).jpg
It's a handy thing. Sometimes I have more items attached to it, depending on what I'm doing (like around camp when backpacking, I have a few extras attached).
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Koda

Post by Koda » March 16th, 2012, 11:14 pm

Crusak wrote:......

.....Some things they mentioned sounded like my gear - like fire starters - I carry two 'Light My Fire Firesteel' and matches and a windproof lighter at all times. I also have two or three light pocket knives.....
Crusak, have you tried to light a fire with that Scout-20 thing? I carry [only] one of those and practiced last summer and it took forever. Without any super dry tissue or other firestarter it would be hopeless on all but the most driest days. Grant it, the thing does what it says... and you wont wear out one of them in a long time.

I have to agree with Grannyhiker here. I occasionally see survival articles in the hunting magazines and they always seem to include a lot of heavy items. This one though isn't all that bad but why TWO knives? (one a huge fixed blade), a "nano" light.... cool but where is the headlamp?...and I'm dying to see someone actually heat a stainless water bottle in the fire :) My basic kit: Map, Compass, Headlamp, Skeletool, fire kit, Aquamira filter straw, SOL emergency bivy, and a 8x10' siltarp (8oz).

if I feel there is a bit more risk I'll carry my Brunton Raptor canister stove and Ti cup plus a mountainhouse freeze dried breakfast, some tea and sugar.... all well under 2lbs. My logic is that if I really am stuck overnight, especially in less than ideal weather something warm will be a huge moral boost.

Cruz, this will be right up your alley but for the ultimate [concealable] run fer the hills survival weapon, I'd pick a full size 10mm auto pistol. ;)
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 16th, 2012, 11:58 pm

Koda wrote:
Crusak wrote:......

.....Some things they mentioned sounded like my gear - like fire starters - I carry two 'Light My Fire Firesteel' and matches and a windproof lighter at all times. I also have two or three light pocket knives.....
Crusak, have you tried to light a fire with that Scout-20 thing? I carry [only] one of those and practiced last summer and it took forever. Without any super dry tissue or other firestarter it would be hopeless on all but the most driest days. Grant it, the thing does what it says... and you wont wear out one of them in a long time.

I have to agree with Grannyhiker here. I occasionally see survival articles in the hunting magazines and they always seem to include a lot of heavy items. This one though isn't all that bad but why TWO knives? (one a huge fixed blade), a "nano" light.... cool but where is the headlamp?...and I'm dying to see someone actually heat a stainless water bottle in the fire :) My basic kit: Map, Compass, Headlamp, Skeletool, fire kit, Aquamira filter straw, SOL emergency bivy, and a 8x10' siltarp (8oz).

if I feel there is a bit more risk I'll carry my Brunton Raptor canister stove and Ti cup plus a mountainhouse freeze dried breakfast, some tea and sugar.... all well under 2lbs. My logic is that if I really am stuck overnight, especially in less than ideal weather something warm will be a huge moral boost.

Cruz, this will be right up your alley but for the ultimate [concealable] run fer the hills survival weapon, I'd pick a full size 10mm auto pistol. ;)
I've successfully started fires with those 'flint and steel' strikers using a flammable substance like hand sanitizer, but of course I had to prepare some tinder to mate it up with. Certainly on a typical wet Oregon day it's tough to get a fire started under any circumstances. :) More often than not I use the spark-producing fire starters to start my stove. :) Have any of you ever tried using those magnesium fire starters? We've given them a try a few times, mainly for practice, and they actually work well if you have dry tinder and wood ready to go.

I like your suggestion at taking the canister stove and a decent freeze dried meal. not much weight but like you said, Koda, nice morale booster.

Knives in my pack: Leatherman CS4 Juice multi-tool, AG Russell Bird & Trout Knife, and the Keshaw folding knife on my lanyard. The bird & trout knife just weighs a few ounces, but is perfect for cleaning fish and other delicate chores. The Kershaw folding knife is sure in the hand due to the excellent grip surface, and easy to deploy. The Leatherman has a saw blade that I actually used to keep a fire going all night one time (when both of our folding saws broke lol).

I think you could heat water in a stainless steel bottle, if you placed in on a hot bed of coals or suspended it over a fire (I have a mini-repair kit in my backpacking gear that includes some thin, flexible metal wire that would work to suspend a bottle) but bringing it to a rolling boil might be tough to do without possibly damaging the bottle? Something to try in the backyard before you try it in the wilderness. :)

And for concealed carry pistols, well, they're heavy and a pain to carry. I wouldn't bother with it when hiking with other people, but when hiking solo my wife insists that I take 'a buddy' haha. :lol:

The article I posted the link to does seem to be tailored to more of a 'hunting' crowd, so weight isn't necessarily the first consideration, and some of the obviously missing items (like your mention of a HEADLAMP, Koda! :) duh I forgot my headlamp last weekend) are things that experienced people would certainly take with them.

* just realized that this sort of discussion would go nicely in a forum for safety and survival discussions. :D
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Koda

Post by Koda » March 17th, 2012, 12:40 am

there was actually another really good discussion we all had here a while back that I started about what to carry for an emergency overnight bivvy. I think my siltarp idea got struck down overall, but I still liked the idea to provide shelter to sit under in rain or wind.... those little things can weigh in huge against moral which IMO one really needs to stay positive and alive. There is no one way to survive, but if I'm waiting for SAR to haul my broken leg sorry ass out might as well sip a cup of hot tea under the tarp.... :) in freezing conditions that could make a huge difference. I know of one story where a jetboil really boosted moral on a climber stuck on the summit of Rainier overnight in a whiteout. I don't carry my stove/tarp on all adventures but I have the choice now and when I think the risk is higher, I do.

Anyways, I gleaned a lot from that thread and formulated my own emergency list (mentioned above), but now that thread is buried deep in the forum here and then in time the topic comes up again like now, only to be buried again.... might as well document some things.

good reading...http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =+survival, we nicknamed a spaceblanket after you Cruz... :)
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2