Oneonta Trail Slide Cleared 19 Feb 2012

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
rcPDX

Oneonta Trail Slide Cleared 19 Feb 2012

Post by rcPDX » February 19th, 2012, 10:34 pm

Oneonta Slide 001.JPG
The "Before" photo including roots and rocks
A hiker came by when we were about 90% done on this slide and said, "Oh it's nice you are clearing a little slide". We laughed. She didn't know what she missed.

A PCTA work party of three spent about 4 1/2 hours clearing a slide on the Oneonta trail. The slide was about 25 feet long and over 4 feet deep at the deepest. The slide was built of almost all sticky mud and rock with very little organic debris. We dug it out to the original tread and sent a half-dozen boulders bounding down to a satisfying thunderous crash into the creek below.
Oneonta Slide 004.JPG
Here is 2/3 of the crew at the start, last time we were clean.
Oneonta Slide 007.JPG
working our way through the muck
Oneonta Slide 008.JPG
Done. Take a gander at the slop below.
On our way back, we spent another hour or so to fix a hole in the tread just south of the junction with Horsetail Falls trail near the Oneonta Gorge. Our arms were tired from moving rocks off of the trail. Now we moved logs and planted rocks IN the trail. Probably loaded a dozen bags of rocks plus what rocks we hauled individually. I forgot to take a before pic, so here we are still smiling at the end.
Oneonta Slide 012.JPG
Hole filled.
It was a great day to be out on the trail. We felt great satisfaction at improving the trail for so many hikers headed to Triple Falls. We received many thanks from the stream of hikers passing us.

[email protected]

Re: Oneonta Trail Slide Cleared 19 Feb 2012

Post by [email protected] » February 20th, 2012, 5:41 am

Nice job and thanks so much - actually I'm heading up that way today so I'll take another look and yes, i do understand how bad it was beforehand.

Barb Adams

Post by Barb Adams » February 28th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Thanks. You put in a lot of hard work with all that mud and rocks. The "after" tread looks terrific. We are planning to take our Granddaughters hiking on some of the Gorge trails this summer.

barb

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » February 28th, 2012, 4:01 pm

I can't express how much I appreciate your getting out there in the "slop" and fixing these problems for us. Those of us no longer physically capable of such labor can only say "BRAVO!"