Favorite scenic spot in the Wallowas

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
pyles_94

Favorite scenic spot in the Wallowas

Post by pyles_94 » February 4th, 2012, 9:04 pm

I'm thinking of going this year for a few nights in the Wallowa Mtns.

Looking for suggestions. For me, it's not only about a decent hike, but more importantly for the photo ops. I'm looking for an area that I can try under different conditions from different angles but essentially the same place for each night. SO, I'd like to see what you all think is your favorite spot in those hills for photos. Just a disclaimer- I don't really want to go to mirror lake. Looking for more solitude.

Ideas so far include Dollar pass/lake/ridge area, Little Eagle meadows, Copper Creek meadow, Traverse lake.

Please include either a photo of the spot, or a description of how it looks! Also, what is the best time of year for the spots? I want flowers, green grass, and wouldn't mind a bit of snow lingering on the peaks for some added interestingness..

Thanks!
Jamey Pyles

Helen

Re: Favorite scenic spot in the Wallowas

Post by Helen » February 4th, 2012, 9:46 pm

I wonder if Ice Lake would meet your criteria? I did the Wallowa River Loop backpacking trip last summer from Douglas Lorain's, "Backpacking Oregon" book. I did not make it up to Ice Lake though. I plan to go back this summer and will spend a couple of nights there.

Aneroid Lake is beautiful and there are some incredible meadows just beyond the lake. You won't have a lot of solitude there though.

I'm really looking forward to other replies to this thread. Thanks for asking the question.
Attachments
P1030452.JPG
Aneroid Lake

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » February 4th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Ice lake <SOrry, I meant Glacier lake. I had previously never heard of Ice lake!> does't look too appealing to me (because there is no color, just gray rocks and white mountains).... But I'm willing to be proven wrong, if someone has a really nice photo of Ice lake they'd like to share?

Said meadows beyond aneroid lake is where Dollar lake is. So far it looks the most scenic to me. Also looking forward to more replies
Last edited by pyles_94 on February 5th, 2012, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamey Pyles

Bones

Post by Bones » February 4th, 2012, 10:38 pm

I am partial to tombstone lake for solitude.

Trip Reports - 1 year behind
2011 Mountains Climbed: Kings, Mount St. Helens x2 & South Sister
2012 Mountains Climbed: Larch, Mount St. Helens
2012 Climbing Agenda: Defiance, Diamond Peak, South or Middle Sister, Mt. Adams (x2?)

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 5th, 2012, 12:46 am

Well, the classic loop past Glacier/Mirror/Moccasin is deservedly popular -- Glacier Lake is amazing -- so definitely worth visiting, despite the popularity.

Tom

Helen

Post by Helen » February 5th, 2012, 4:33 am

Glacier Lake is beautiful. Sorry, I'm not a good photographer, but this will give you an idea.
Attachments
Glacier.JPG
Glacier Lake

vienturia

Post by vienturia » February 5th, 2012, 9:37 am

Well-timed thread as I was just talking about pulling together a camping trip to NE Oregon. So far the image search on Glacier Lake has me convinced.
- Lindsay

Koda

Post by Koda » February 5th, 2012, 9:45 am

pyles_94 wrote:Ice lake does't look too appealing to me (because there is no color, just gray rocks and white mountains)....
a lot of the big mountain vistas in the Wallowa's are barren open terrain above timberling. majestic with a hint of snowcap, but barren grey rocks otherwise. I think Glacier Lake is always photogenic, and truly is the one photo that captures the heart of the Wallowas.... but I also think Moccasin Lake is overlooked for scenic beauty.

I havn't begun to explore other areas of the Wallowas (in summer) enough to give more suggestions other than the classic Lakes Basin loop, but one thing I could add would be to not overlook the meadows and streams... are quite inviting in their own element, I could consider backpacking for days in this arena...

feel free to browse my album from last summer, pics of just about everything in the Lakes Basin loop from Wallowa Lake trailhead.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kelkev

Post by kelkev » February 5th, 2012, 10:08 am

Ice Lake is really something to behold at sunrise. The colors and reflections are intense to say the least - I've seen a lot of backcountry, and Ice Lake is near the top in my book. Taken in early August, 2009........

Kevin
Attachments
matterhorn aug.09 099 (683x1024).jpg
Matterhorn over Ice Lake
matterhorn aug.09 065 (1024x683).jpg
Sunrise, Ice Lake
P3280016 (1024x768).jpg
Ice Lake, August 10, 2009
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 5th, 2012, 11:39 am

Yeah, it gets crowded, but the Lakes Basin is super beautiful and with all the lakes, creeks, wildflowers, and mountains there are a lot of different locations and angles for photography (trip report here). I got a nice evening shot at Horseshoe Lake, which seems to be often overlooked in favor of Glacier and Mirrors Lakes. Beware that Glacier Lake is one of the last to melt out, as we discovered the hard way.

Eagle Meadows on the south side is quite lovely (trip report here).

Also on the south side, Little Eagle Meadows has more lupine in one place than I've seen anywhere else (trip report here). The picture below doesn't even begin to do it justice.

As for the best time of year, that's a total crap shoot, and there's no way to know until summer arrives. I was in the Lakes Basin around June 25 in 2007, which is usually too early but we got lucky that year. Whereas in 2008 there was still so much snow in the higher elevations around July 25 - a month later than the previous year - that we had to alter our plans.