Elk/Kings/Kings Jr Loop 07-Jan-2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Elk/Kings/Kings Jr Loop 07-Jan-2012

Post by VanMarmot » January 7th, 2012, 5:04 pm

To kick off my 2012 hiking season, I headed W - across the wilds of Beaverton - to the Kings Mtn TH in the coast range. I knew from recent trip reports that, despite a dusting of snow overnight, the trail behind Kings was largely free of snow and wouldn't require heroics to traverse. There was only 1 other car at the TH when I arrived and, despite the lot being full when I got back, I only saw 7 other folks the whole day - and all of those on Kings. I went E on the Wilson River Trail to its junction with the Elk Mtn trail, then started up the steepness that is Elk. It was a "graybird" day - alternately overcast, cloudy, foggy, with a few sun breaks - which made for a lot of atmospheric photos.

From the top of Elk, I could see across to Kings shrouded in clouds and mist, with a light dusting (1-3") of new snow.

The trail from Elk to Kings was largely snowfree, and there were only a very few spots where wet slick snow (no ice at all) made travel tricky. The most snow (3") was at the junction with the Elk Creek road.

I arrived on Kings to find it still enveloped in clouds,

which had (of course) cleared by the time I reached Kings Jr.

The sun came out for my walk back to the TH on the Wilson River trail, so the day ended on a meteorological up-note. Getting up Elk, along with the ups & downs between Elk and Kings, made this loop feel tougher than its 11 mi, 3500' EG stats would suggest. But still a fun hike on a day with weather that turned out better than expected.

Last edited by VanMarmot on January 10th, 2012, 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crusak

Re: Elk/Kings/Kings Jr Loop 07-Jan-2012

Post by Crusak » January 7th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Excellent choice of trails!

:)

Looks like today was a great day for doing that loop. All that scrambling on the back side of Kings & Elk makes that loop seem much tougher, just as you suggested.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Reckless

Post by Reckless » January 7th, 2012, 11:23 pm

the pictures of the clouds mixing with the hills are amazing! made me feel like I was there...
Better to live in the wild - feel it, smell it, see it - and do something real that succeeds. - Jack Turner

potato

Post by potato » January 9th, 2012, 12:48 pm

I love the 2nd pic.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Thum

Post by Thum » January 9th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Im with rad, the 2nd and 3rd pics look amazing. Thx for posting a conditions update for the whole loop van, looks doable and still fun :)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 10th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Thum wrote:Im with rad, the 2nd and 3rd pics look amazing. Thx for posting a conditions update for the whole loop van, looks doable and still fun :)
Thanks! Very doable & much fun - although by next weekend there may be no snow at all.