Three Corner Rock (from lower TH) 22-Dec-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Three Corner Rock (from lower TH) 22-Dec-2011

Post by VanMarmot » December 23rd, 2011, 5:10 pm

My new job features a 1-day "floating" holiday which must be taken before the end of the last pay period of the year. It was pure coincidence that (1) this required day off fell on last Thursday and (2) last Thursday was a classic bluebird day. I needed something with distance so I could get in 700 mi in 2011 (yes, the loonies could do this in a couple of crazed weekends, but us mere mortals take a whole year) - so the 17 mi RT to Three Corner Rock from its lower TH seemed just right. I left the surprisingly simple TH at 8am under clear, but cold and windy, skies.

The trail is in good condition with no snow or ice except for a very short patch near the top. It's not a trail with many views until the end, but just before crossing Stebbin Creek, I got a full view of Three Corner and its companion antenna tower.

The map says there's a foot bridge across Stebbin, but not any longer.

However, since this is a low water year (so far), hopping across the creek was not a problem.

After the trail broke out of the trees, I got another (but closer) view of Silver Star - which is losing its snow.

As I neared the summit, I ran into a very strong, very cold, wind, with temperatures low enough to keep icicles on the shrubs.

My stay on top was very brief - long enough to see St. Helens, Rainier, Goat Rocks, and Jefferson in the distance, as well as Hood competing with that aesthetically challenged antenna array.

After a quick lunch in a place somewhat sheltered from the wind, I backtracked to the TH in the soft, but fading, winter light. The trail is in such good condition, and generally so evenly graded, that I was back at the car by 3pm, after 17.5 mi and 4200' EG. Just 2.3 mi more to my 700 mi goal! :)

potato

Re: Three Corner Rock (from lower TH) 22-Dec-2011

Post by potato » December 23rd, 2011, 6:05 pm

Thanks for the report, sounds perfect... I'm jealous!
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 23rd, 2011, 6:57 pm

Excellent photos, Van, and thanks for the report. - amazingly low water on Stebbins Creek for any time of the year and especially for late December.

The bridge has been out for eight years or more - In higher water you can bushwhack to the left upstream and usually get across on a logjam - if it's still there, that is. I love that trail - glad to hear it's still in good condition.

-Don

ps, 700 miles in a couple of weekends, maybe Mayhem, Thum and Eric to name a few - It would take me much longer! ;)

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » December 24th, 2011, 7:55 am

Don Nelsen wrote:Excellent photos, Van, and thanks for the report. - amazingly low water on Stebbins Creek for any time of the year and especially for late December.

The bridge has been out for eight years or more - In higher water you can bushwhack to the left upstream and usually get across on a logjam - if it's still there, that is. I love that trail - glad to hear it's still in good condition.

-Don
Thanks Don! There was no sign of any bridge remains and - as far as I could see upstream - no sign of any log jams. Must have all been scoured during those short but intense rains we've had in recent years. Judging from some flagging and small signs, it looks like a timber sale is/was planned around the trail within about 1 mi of the TH. So if folks want to enjoy this trail with trees they might want to do it sooner than later(?).

Peder

Post by Peder » December 24th, 2011, 9:52 am

VanMarmot wrote:It was pure coincidence that (1) this required day off fell on last Thursday and (2) last Thursday was a classic bluebird day.

Just 2.3 mi more to my 700 mi goal! :)
Bruce - Congratulations on the mileage and unlike others, you must be the only one to have done all 697.7 miles under blue skies!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Guy

Post by Guy » December 24th, 2011, 10:02 am

Bruce - Congratulations on the mileage and unlike others, you must be the only one to have done all 697.7 miles under blue skies!
Yeah I know! I'm planning to invite Van along on all my hikes in 2012 to ensure blue skies & good weather...
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 24th, 2011, 10:09 am

Yup, he's a portable cloud-dispersal device... just unload him at the trailhead, flip the switch to "bluebird skies" and point him in the direction of your destination! :)

Love that shot looking toward the Silver Stars, Van -- nice!

Tom