Illumination Eclipse, 12-10-11

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Water

Illumination Eclipse, 12-10-11

Post by Water » December 13th, 2011, 10:37 am

4.0 miles, 3500' gained

Partner was definitely not at 100%. decided to bag going for Leuthold's Coulior and just enjoy sunrise at Illumination Saddle.
Partner's feet looked like hamburger back at the truck (new boots), plus his appetite and energy were not normal, so, probably made the best choice. disappointing with the mountain in utterly perfect shape..next time.

Lunar Eclipse did make it worth it. Night started off bright as can be (no headlamp, but, as the eclipse started it got so dark we needed headlamps. Started getting pictures towards the end of the eclipse (middle of the night shots with 3x zoom do nothing..). It set directly into the point of the shadow cast by the sun behind mt. hood--unreal.

Feel Free to Feel Free

Thum

Re: Illumination Eclipse, 12-10-11

Post by Thum » December 13th, 2011, 10:44 am

Absolutely amazing and two thums up for the awesome pics, Water. I am really enjoying these trip reports of yours lately and look forward to seeing even more of your adventures as the winter rolls on :)

Illumination Saddle for the eclipse? How cool is that :) I know it wasnt your chosen destination but your friend deserves some good credit for sticking it out and making it up there at all.

thanks for posting.

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » December 13th, 2011, 10:50 am

Water wrote: It set directly into the point of the shadow cast by the sun behind mt. hood--unreal.
I never would have thought of it ahead of time, but I guess that makes sense. It's the same light source casting both shadows, so I suppose they would always line up.

Charley

Post by Charley » December 13th, 2011, 1:45 pm

MUST GET INTO BCEP.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 13th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Fantastic pics! What a great vantage point. I'd never thought of that - the eclipsed moon setting into the point of Mt. hood's shadow but of course it would have to.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Roy

Post by Roy » December 14th, 2011, 11:41 am

Water wrote:4.0 miles, 3500' gained

Partner was definitely not at 100%. decided to bag going for Leuthold's Coulior and just enjoy sunrise at Illumination Saddle.
Partner's feet looked like hamburger back at the truck (new boots), plus his appetite and energy were not normal, so, probably made the best choice. disappointing with the mountain in utterly perfect shape..next time.

Lunar Eclipse did make it worth it. Night started off bright as can be (no headlamp, but, as the eclipse started it got so dark we needed headlamps. Started getting pictures towards the end of the eclipse (middle of the night shots with 3x zoom do nothing..). It set directly into the point of the shadow cast by the sun behind mt. hood--unreal.

That is nice stuff Mat. Saw a solar from the summit of Adams, it was wild how did you find conditions up there? My experience in long inversions in the past was always nasty ice above 8,000 feet and a lot of ice fall in the chutes when the sun came out.Nothing is ever set in stone though.

Good stuff my friend.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Tito goes hiking

Post by Tito goes hiking » December 14th, 2011, 1:13 pm

Very, Very Awsome!
thanks for sharing

What kind or bird was that flying south?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 14th, 2011, 3:01 pm

Great photos! I did a double take at what I thought was the Columbia peeking through north of Lost Lake (knowing that you can't see the mountain from the river in that area), and realized I was actually looking at the fog layer..!

-Tom :)

Guy

Post by Guy » December 14th, 2011, 6:41 pm

Truly great photos Water, thanks for sharing, wish I had been more adventurous myself now!!

Well Done..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » December 14th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Breathtaking in every way ! What wonderful photos. Wow
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda