Kings Mountain - SE Ridge

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
mandrake

Kings Mountain - SE Ridge

Post by mandrake » November 27th, 2011, 11:57 pm

Last edited by mandrake on June 28th, 2017, 10:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

Eric Peterson

Re: Kings Mountain - SE Ridge

Post by Eric Peterson » November 28th, 2011, 7:05 am

Sure wish the Sierra Club would get that cool little Tillamook Forest trail guide book
back in print. A guy who works with them was nice enough to make me some xerox's
of the maps from his copy though. :)

Did all the ridges myself in the area, or at least all the ridges that the Mazama's have
listed on their custom area map. The SE Kings ridge was the second hardest behind
the more difficult West Kings ridge, must be that rock out cropping that does it or
just getting up into the ridge, but once up there it seemed to flatten out nicely
into some thinned out forest then connected just above the boy scout picnic table
if memory serves.

Will have to hit those 3 ridges in between Kings and and Elk again now that I have
a GPS, have the track for West Kings ridge. Also, these things are a lot easier with
the brush since it's going into winter! :)

Nice work guys!

Someday I am going to go right up the middle and hit the old forest road/trail, looks
totally doable with no major cliff bands that can't be navigated around...

Peder

Post by Peder » November 28th, 2011, 7:21 am

mandrake wrote:No good pics unfortunately per monsoon-like conditions.
Well, you put a monsoon day to good use (just as I did working! :( ) Thanks for the detailed description and the map. I look forward to following your (and the elks) tracks. I will also have to take a look over to the Coxcomb Ridge.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » November 28th, 2011, 7:30 am

I plan on redoing all the ridges in the area and making a solid printable map.

Sounds like a fun winter project!

We should do the SE Ridge together Peder, or do you prefer solitude? :)

Here's the GPX for the West Kings ridge that I did back in May -

http://gpsfly.org/g/1224

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 29th, 2011, 9:51 am

I googled "kings mountain coxcomb ridge" this morning and came up with your report! (Although, you're right, the Coxcomb and Southeast routes are not the same thing). I thought it might be a decent outing this time of year, and obviously you had the same idea.

@Eric Peterson: I applaud your project, will be cheering you on in spirit, and hope you can share when it's done.

The Sierra Club does plan on revising its Tillamook State Forest hiking guide. I have the original edition and did most of those hikes over the past decade, usually fall through early spring. One purpose of the guide, of course, was political: to increase recreational use in support of the "50/50" plan (banning logging on 50% of the land), which voters didn't pass in 2004. Since then, quite a few of Sierra's routes on old logging roads have been upgraded to permit access for logging operations, so it will be interesting to see what they include to get to 50 hikes.

John

mayhem

Post by mayhem » November 29th, 2011, 12:40 pm

I was lucky enough to see the sign before it was removed

Latitude: 45.609550º N
Longitude: 123.518535º W
Altitude: 2,473 ft

Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Peder

Post by Peder » November 29th, 2011, 3:49 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:We should do the SE Ridge together Peder, or do you prefer solitude? :)
I would be happy to team up, but after hiking 7 times during the first 14 days of this month, I am now busy with work until Christmas. So hopefully sometime next year we could visit the ridge.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » November 29th, 2011, 8:46 pm

bobcat wrote:
@Eric Peterson: I applaud your project, will be cheering you on in spirit, and hope you can share when it's done.
Hey BC, yes, that is my intention and reason for mapping it so it can be shared. Plus it sounded
like fun since I did 3 out of 4 ridges before I had a GPS :)

@ Peder, sounds like January then maybe :)

mayhem

Post by mayhem » November 30th, 2011, 7:28 pm

mandrake wrote:@Mayhem: Nice -- I'd heard there was a sign up there marking the side trail to Coxcomb once upon a time.

Reportedly the route took off eastwards traversing at about the same elevation around the east side of Kings passing across the SE ridge further north to reach the base of Coxcomb Ridge. We did run across one section of reasonably good tread on the way up somewhere around 2400' elevation. Coxcomb may not be the best on a wet day tho' as it sounds like the top may be a bit exposed. "Roping up would be recommended except for the lack of reliable placements for protection." Here's the writeup:
http://orsierraclub.files.wordpress.com ... bridge.pdf
Here is the Coxcomb! From EP :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 1st, 2011, 8:47 am

mayhem wrote: Image
Cool, that's from the Mazamas though, but I did stick it up here or something at some point... :mrgreen: