Willamette River Walk 20-Nov-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Willamette River Walk 20-Nov-2011

Post by VanMarmot » November 23rd, 2011, 10:51 am

Last Sunday I couldn't muster the energy for a hike in the Gorge, so we decided to walk the path along the Willamette from downtown to Sellwood and back. It's a gentle 6 mi walk (with no EG) that doesn't require any planning, packing, or driving. I'm posting the pictures just as reminder to us all of what sunshine looks like, since it's probably going to be awhile before we see much of it again. :(

A goose-eye view of Ross Island and downtown Portland.

Crossing the Willamette on the Sellwood Bridge. I'm calling this the bridge of mystery - the mystery being why it hasn't fallen in the river yet. :?

But you do get a nice view of the river and downtown from mid-span on the Sellwood.

What amazed us was the range of foliage on the trees - from bare branches to colorful, falling leaves to still green leaves.

The river was down a bit, so the seagulls had access to a sand spit just offshore from the butterfly park.

Our walk ended in the South Waterfront, where we took the streetcar downtown for lunch, then a bus to the Wild Arts Festival (where I met OneSpeed in person!), and then another bus home. No cars or carbon credits were used in the making of this day's adventures. :D

Crusak

Re: Willamette River Walk 20-Nov-2011

Post by Crusak » November 23rd, 2011, 2:55 pm

Nice, a VanMarmot trip, minus the van. :) What a beautiful day on Sunday! Your walk looks like a very relaxing time.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 23rd, 2011, 3:16 pm

Wow... amazing that you were out on the same day as I was (hiking in snow and heavy overcast to Tamanawas Falls)..! You'd think we were in different states!

Tom

chameleon

Post by chameleon » November 23rd, 2011, 5:35 pm

Very nice VanMarmot. It's nice to have such wonderful walking options so nearby.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » November 24th, 2011, 6:47 pm

Splintercat wrote:Wow... amazing that you were out on the same day as I was (hiking in snow and heavy overcast to Tamanawas Falls)..! You'd think we were in different states!

Tom
Still the best place I've ever lived....