Indian Heaven - Another PCT/CCT loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Indian Heaven - Another PCT/CCT loop

Post by drm » October 18th, 2011, 7:30 pm

In the central Indian Heaven Wilderness area, I did a loop hike of the Pacific Crest Trail and the old Cascade Crest Trail. I started at Cultus Creek Campground going up the Cultus Creek Trail to the PCT, then to Chenamus Lake where I picked up the CCT on the south side of Chenamus. It leads eventually to Junction Lake, from which I returned via Bear Lake and the Indian Heaven Trail.

There were a few berries here and there (best was at Deep Lake). East winds were blowing in some places, not in others. The loop was about 14 miles. This is what fall is about. Enjoy the lakes.

Mt Adams in morning light

A little later as I descended the other side of the ridge, there was a nice view of Mt Saint Helens

Chenamus Lake

A small unnamed lake along the CCT about a half mile from Chenamus

Though generally in good shape, there were areas where the trail was water-logged

This was about as faint as it got. I saw horseshoe tracks on the trail in this meadow

Rush Creek

A nice meadow with some fall colors

A very large meadow as I got close to Junction Lake

Junction Lake

The Pacific Crest Trail surrounded by the Pacific Crest Moat

Bear Lake

Deer Lake

Clear Lake

Cultus Lake

Deep Lake

A parting shot from Mt Adams

Crusak

Re: Indian Heaven - Another PCT/CCT loop

Post by Crusak » October 18th, 2011, 7:48 pm

Ah! Nice! And a nice day of sunshine for that hike.

That is something like the loop I wanted to do this year. Might just be some time left to get up there.... before the snow hits. :)

Thanks for sharing your trip.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kylemeyer

Post by kylemeyer » October 18th, 2011, 9:59 pm

Looks beautiful!

I've never taken the time to check out Rush Creek when I've hiked that stretch of trail. Does it seem like a big creek further down? Did you see any evidence of fish? 8-) That seems like a pretty awesome thing to explore. Cross-country trip down that creek sounds like it's in my future...

Thanks!

potato

Post by potato » October 19th, 2011, 12:32 pm

drm wrote:The Pacific Crest Trail surrounded by the Pacific Crest Moat
:D

Looks like a nice hike!
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

romann

Post by romann » October 19th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Nice pictures! I was near Wapiki Lake area at the time - the weather was indeed gorgeous and the colors at the meadows start to show up. It was hard to find any ripe berries, but other than that it was a great time to be there.

drm

Post by drm » October 19th, 2011, 4:20 pm

kylemeyer wrote:Looks beautiful!

I've never taken the time to check out Rush Creek when I've hiked that stretch of trail. Does it seem like a big creek further down? Did you see any evidence of fish? 8-) That seems like a pretty awesome thing to explore. Cross-country trip down that creek sounds like it's in my future...

Thanks!
The trail follows Rush Creek for quite a while. When it first joins it is is very wide, but it's more like a section with a pool. That was also the soggiest section the hike. And I would know about fish, but some sections were pretty shallow and rocky.
Crusak wrote:Might just be some time left to get up there.... before the snow hits.
There is a lot of time before snow settles in for the winter - except for the snow that is still there from last winter. I wouldn't expect snow to settle in for a month or more. Question is how many of those days will be cold and drizzly.