Between the fires under an evac warning. .Olallie Lake 9/7-8

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Between the fires under an evac warning. .Olallie Lake 9/7-8

Post by pdxgene » September 8th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Okay.. so this isn't as bad as a ticket but not really what you want to find under your car at the end of a nice hike..
IMGP9451.JPG
Visions of a night evac thru the smoke on 4220 wasn't a comforting thought. but the people at the resort had talked with the owners that reported that they taked to the authorities and there was a good firebreak and we should all be fine.
The forest in the burn area from a few years ago is growing back nicely and the flowers make a great contrast with the old burnt trees..
IMGP9412.JPG
And of course mix in the beginnings of the fall colors...
IMGP9417.JPG
I took a walk up to Horseshoe Lake (this ends up being about an 8 mile r-t from Olallie) and it was completely deserted, not a soul anywhere. And the doughnut tree had ripe pickings..
IMGP9422.JPG
Horseshoe Lake 5,400'
IMGP9428.JPG
Road 4220 past Horseshoe. Abandon all hope all ye who try to drive this road..
IMGP9429.JPG
Olallie Butte and reflection in Monon Lake..
IMGP9432.JPG
I had the entire cabin area to myself both days. Not another person except a few in the campgrounds. Also not another boat on the lake the entire time I was out there both days. Ahhh... can't beat that.
IMGP9452.JPG
I think this smoke cloud was from the fire that threatened my eviction..
IMGP9484.JPG
The smoke, moon, clouds and Mt Jefferson made for a fantastic sunset..
IMGP9495.JPG
IMGP9498.JPG
A more subdued sunrise this morning..
IMGP9509.JPG
Though windy early there was a nice long calm period mid-morning 'til early afternoon..
IMGP9518.JPG
IMGP9523.JPG
Bunches more sunsets, reflections and wildlife at http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/OlallieLake10
Oh yeah, lots of butterflys, dragonflys, bees and other insects but virtually no black flies or mosquitoes whatsoever. Even in the swampy areas near water there was just tons of those little grass flies that seem to have no interest in us.
What a great couple days at virtually deserted Olallie lake. The fall ccolors will be great in a couple weeks if the fires stay away.

Splintercat

Re: Between the fires under an evac warning. .Olallie Lake 9

Post by Splintercat » September 8th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Terrific photos, Gene - love those sunset shots over Olallie Lake! Glad you weren't toasted like a marshmallow on a stick, too...

-Tom :D

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 8th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Splintercat wrote:Terrific photos, Gene - love those sunset shots over Olallie Lake! Glad you weren't toasted like a marshmallow on a stick, too...

-Tom :D
Thanx..
It did keep me close to the main lake and not wandering too far off. I saw the note when I got back from Horseshoe Lake. I really wanted to go back there today and kayak around the back side of it but I guess that's something for next time.

geographics

Post by geographics » September 8th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Last edited by geographics on February 23rd, 2012, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 8th, 2011, 9:02 pm

geographics wrote:sweet trip! i've been waiting for your report. what kind of air temp? did you get in the water?
Hot and toasty! That hot wind fanning the fires was actually a very refreshing cool breeze at Olallie and kept it just perfect and even blew the smoke away for the vast majority of the time. It was more clear up there than on the drive home. The water was nice too. You are not supposed to swim in Olallie as it is the water source for Salem. Sometimes however I spontaneously fall out of my kayak on hot days in sheltered coves where no one can see. Just sayin.. :P
I forgot to bring a towel up to Horseshoe and the water looked so tempting but that's not a good walk back on a dusty road with wet clothes.
Oh yeah, huge bunches of yummy huckleberries on the far (south?) side of the Monon Lake Trail.

geographics

Post by geographics » September 8th, 2011, 9:30 pm

Last edited by geographics on February 23rd, 2012, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geographics

Post by geographics » September 8th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Last edited by geographics on February 23rd, 2012, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » September 8th, 2011, 10:05 pm

geographics wrote:hey gene, do you know if Long Lake, Dark Lake and Boulder Lakes to the southeast of Olallie are part of reservation lands?
According to the Jefferson Wilderness map that I have they are. I haven't heard of any restrictions on going there nor any reports from anyone that has.. I've been wondering if there are any good views there. I was going to head that way but one of the fires on that warning was southeast of Dark Lake so that was another thing that led to more time paddling lazily around Olallie.
Lots of osprey diving for fish in the lake too.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 9th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Love the trip report, nothing like the threat of an eviction notice to crank up the adventure. Some wonderful lake shots.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

ras_pdx

Post by ras_pdx » September 9th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Thanks for the report! We're going to head up that way this weekend, hopefully the fires will be under control and not too smokey.