Indian Heaven (Red Mtn) 31-Aug-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Indian Heaven (Red Mtn) 31-Aug-2011

Post by VanMarmot » August 31st, 2011, 6:18 pm

Having done some hikes in the northern parts of the Indian Heaven Wilderness, it seemed about time to see what was in the southern part. Portland was under a cloud deck when I left, but I was hoping that the clouds would dissipate by the time I got to the TH. No - my weather mojo failed completely and the whole day was spent under clouds, with wind, mist, and occasional drizzle, with temps in the 50s – felt like a tryout for Fall. Pulling on extra layers (August??), I started from the Crest Horse Camp on FR 60 and took the PCT N into the wilderness. First stop were the Sheep Lakes, at about 4000’.

Indian Heaven in summer means bugs – lots of them – but there were none today [a couple of mosquitos did throw off their parkas and head toward me, but they were felled by hypothermia before they had a chance to bite :lol: ].

I crossed into the wilderness,

and soon passed Green Lake.

I continued N on the PCT to where it reaches 5000’ just W of Berry Mtn. No snow anywhere but no views either.

There were, however, quite a few very ripe – and very tasty – huckleberries in bushes along the PCT just N of Pt 4996. Rest assured that I did my best – despite the weather – to see to it that they didn’t go to waste. Once the berries were gone or unreachable, I headed back S and took trail 171A over to the Indian Race Track.

Then Trail 171 S to the top of Red Mountain and a view of the lookout, done in the classic squat box style.

Only because I wanted to do a loop, I took the lookout service road (FR 6048) down to FR 60 and then followed that back to the car. If I did this particular route again, I'd skip the road and back-track on trail 171. While it certainly wasn’t the best day weather-wise, I always enjoy hiking in the Indian Heaven area and will have to try this hike again when the weather is better. All told, 12.4 mi, 2300’.

Crusak

Re: Indian Heaven (Red Mtn) 31-Aug-2011

Post by Crusak » August 31st, 2011, 6:38 pm

Indian Heaven is amazing. I've never explored the southern end though.

Nice touch with the B & W photos, probably matched the weather well. Did you see many other people out there today?
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » September 1st, 2011, 5:48 am

Crusak wrote:Indian Heaven is amazing. I've never explored the southern end though.

Nice touch with the B & W photos, probably matched the weather well. Did you see many other people out there today?
Yes, it was a B&W sort of day. Saw a group of 4 hikers heading to the lookout, 3 folks on horseback putting on cold weather gear, and a thru hiker who blazed past me heading N. I think the N end of the wilderness (Cultus Ck) gets most of the action.

drm

Post by drm » September 1st, 2011, 6:16 am

If it's cloudy or drizzly anywhere in the region, it will be at Indian Heaven. You can often beat the clouds at nearby Mt Adams, but not at Indian Heaven. It's one reason the snow is so slow to melt.

Was there a pond or lake at Indian Racetrack?

Thum

Post by Thum » September 1st, 2011, 11:43 am

thanks for posting this, van marmot. I am also curious if there is a small body of water at the junction of trails 171(as you already know, indian race track trail) and 171a.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 1st, 2011, 11:46 am

Nice shots with the B&W. I often switch to B&W on such gray days!

Your photo of the lookout is interesting because according to the Forest Fire Lookout Association page for this lookout, the roof was blown off five years ago and the walls collapsed. Looks hunky-dory in your photo, so I guess they repaired it.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » September 2nd, 2011, 6:28 am

drm wrote:If it's cloudy or drizzly anywhere in the region, it will be at Indian Heaven. You can often beat the clouds at nearby Mt Adams, but not at Indian Heaven. It's one reason the snow is so slow to melt.

Was there a pond or lake at Indian Racetrack?
There is a pond a Indian Racetrack (my map calls it "Race Track Lakes") - it looked shallow with muddy edges but you could probably get water out of it. There's a nice campsite close by the lake.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » September 2nd, 2011, 6:29 am

Thum wrote:thanks for posting this, van marmot. I am also curious if there is a small body of water at the junction of trails 171(as you already know, indian race track trail) and 171a.
Yes - "Race Track Lakes" on my map. Muddy edges might make getting to the water tricky but it's there. Also a nice campsite near by.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » September 2nd, 2011, 6:34 am

justpeachy wrote:Nice shots with the B&W. I often switch to B&W on such gray days!

Your photo of the lookout is interesting because according to the Forest Fire Lookout Association page for this lookout, the roof was blown off five years ago and the walls collapsed. Looks hunky-dory in your photo, so I guess they repaired it.
Would seem so - but it would been cool if they'd re-built it in the old cupola style. There's a large collection of comm gear just below the LO and the road looks to have been newly graded for access to this. It wouldn't have been at all hard to either repair the old LO or just haul a new box up there.