Pamilia/Hunts/Hanks Lake - Mt Jefferson

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jensenaz

Pamilia/Hunts/Hanks Lake - Mt Jefferson

Post by jensenaz » August 12th, 2011, 6:56 am

Last Thursday and Friday (August 4 & 5th) my 8 yr old son and father hiked to and camped at Hanks Lake. It was the most beautiful hike I have been on. It was about 14 miles there and back. I contacted Paul Gerald (author of many Oregon Hiking books) and he recommended this trail for us this time of year. That guy knows his trails! We had to get a trail pass from the ranger station, but was not difficult. My dad flew in from Arizona to join us on this hike. He has backpacked his whole life and it was the best hike he has been on. I love showing off Oregon to him!

We crossed 38 small and large streams just between Pamilia lake and Hanks Lake. That portion of the hike is the most stunning part. We didn't see any snow until just about 1 mile before Hanks Lake. There was still some snow around the lake, but it was melting fast. There are 2 great camp sites there close to the lake. We also hiked down Hanks lake, but Hunts lake was the best to camp at. There were not other campers at either lake. The Hunts Cove loop in the PCT was packed over with snow so we were not able to take the loop back around. The snow around Hanks Lake was melting very fast, so I imagine it won't take long for the loop to open up. Also on the hike out (Aug 5th) there was a wilderness crew of about 6 people fixing and cleaning up the trail. They had planned on staying on the trail to update it for 8 days from the time we meet them. Even then, the trail was very good.

Here are some pictures of our hike.
Attachments
P1010376-1.jpeg
Hanks Lake
P1010387-1.jpeg
Hanks Lake
P1010351-1.jpeg
1 mile before Hanks Lake
P1010345-1.jpeg
P1010342-1.jpeg
P1010326-1.jpeg
Pamelia Lake
P1010385-1.jpeg
Hanks Lake

ewbadz

Re: Pamilia/Hunts/Hanks Lake - Mt Jefferson

Post by ewbadz » August 12th, 2011, 7:09 am

Thanks for the TR! Looks like you had a great time!

evanshikers

Post by evanshikers » August 12th, 2011, 5:04 pm

My son and I will be in that area in a couple more weeks, it's good to know the trails are open and the snow is melting.

very nice pictures, looks like you had a nice trip. Did you try fishing at all?

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » August 12th, 2011, 9:36 pm

I am very glad to have played a small part in your hike! Thanks for the report and photos.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 12th, 2011, 10:04 pm

That's a fun hike, with great views. It's been a few years ago, but I remember hiking from Pamelia to Hanks/Hunts and over the ridge down to Marion Lake. That area around Hunts Cove is very nice. Cathedral Rocks towers over you. Very nice spot.

Thanks for sharing your trip, and I'm glad you all had a good time.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kelkev

Post by kelkev » August 14th, 2011, 10:11 am

Another one of my favorite places - great pictures and what a neat experience to share with your family. Next time you're up that way, soak in the view overlooking Hunts Cove from the Pacific Crest Trail. Awe inspiring, for sure. Hope the mosquitoes didn't pester you too much, they can be pretty rough there.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

guernica

Post by guernica » August 14th, 2011, 10:18 am

I did that loop in 2009. Gorgeous place to be sure.

Thanks for the report, I love seeing parents take their little ones out with them. :)