Family injured in rock slide in the gorge

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Waffle Stomper

Family injured in rock slide in the gorge

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 10th, 2008, 3:25 pm

Family injured, horsetail falls. Sent to hospital with injuries.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/k ... a2a61.html
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Arioto

Re: Family injured in rock slide in the gorge

Post by Arioto » October 10th, 2008, 5:22 pm

Just heard about this before visiting PH. What are the chances of that? Then another guy falls off a cliff at or near triple falls? Wow. Hope everyone comes out ok.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 10th, 2008, 7:15 pm

I understand the man at Triple Falls died. I guess we've had enough rain to make things slippery.

Everybody be careful out there. I'd miss hearing from you on PH.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Charley

Post by Charley » October 10th, 2008, 7:37 pm

That's awful. The trail at the overlook of Triple Falls is really really slick and steep. I was kind of nervous walking down it the day I went (it was a wet day).
Charley
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » October 11th, 2008, 3:41 pm

Updates on both stories:
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ss ... cover.html
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ss ... g_fro.html

The Triple Falls overlook is steep and dangerous even when dry because it's so eroded from the traffic. I never go more than partway down. If you want a good picture, you need to go right to the edge, which is a lot closer than I want to get.

fettster

Post by fettster » October 11th, 2008, 3:57 pm

It was so sad to hear the outcome of the solo hiker last night on the late news. Learning about the dog staying behind reminds me very much of the situation when my grandfather died. Quite a shocking and deeply striking turn of events. I am heartened by the fact that so far everyone in the other party is alive.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » October 11th, 2008, 5:18 pm

The man fell 100 to 130 feet over the face of the falls, then went another 30 yards through a wet debris field at the base of the falls.
That guy at Triple Falls didn't fall from the viewpoint, he fell from the top of the waterfall itself! Yikes! It always scares me when people go out there at the top of the falls. Sad story.

fettster

Post by fettster » October 12th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Yesterday they said on the news that this trail was closed due to another slide at the same area. I haven't heard anything more today.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » October 12th, 2008, 6:00 pm

They said something about getting a crew in for repairs sometime next week.

I'm waiting for the report that someone went down the hill where the Burnt Lake trail is getting worse. Especially since it was already getting a bit icy even yesterday. It's to the point where it's getting close to a 3-4 foot drop. You definitely need to use your hands to slide down and climb up.. Looking at my pictures from July it looks to have dropped about a foot or more over the summer.

rogersjd74

Post by rogersjd74 » October 14th, 2008, 10:50 am

We were up on the Horsetail falls trail Sunday and a work crew had just been up there, or was ahead of us... We went up to the viewpoint and saw lots of fresh trail work and wheelburrow tracks in the soft mud.

Terrible stories and hope the family is alright....

-Jason