Augspurger and Dog redux - 7/2/11

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Re: Augspurger and Dog redux - 7/2/11

Post by Don Nelsen » July 4th, 2011, 2:31 pm

VanMarmot wrote:Others probably already know this, but I was interested to find (in the 1976 edition of Spring & Manning's 102 Hikes...) that the alignment of the PCT (then called the Cascade Crest Trail) on the Washington side pre-1975 started at Dog Mtn, went over Augspurger Mtn, past Grassy Knoll and Big Lava Bed, to Big Huckleberry Mtn, and then down to Forest Road 60. Now, after starting at Cascade Locks, the PCT still passes by Big Huckleberry and crosses 60 at Crest Camp. I'd be interested if anyone has a map of the old alignment from Dog Mtn to Crest Camp, as it would make for an interesting "hike through history."
Bruce,

Here you go - this is taken from the old 30 minute series USGS maps and the original late 70's Green Trails maps:

Overview of both old and new alignment: Old in red, new in yellow)

Detail Dog Mt area. (Some of the current dog Mt. trail system in Green) Looks like it didn't go over Augsburger if the maps are correct:

I think I'll go up there and check out what's left. I followed the old aligment a couple of years ago not knowing what it was but it got real brushy and I didn't have the time that day. I only went a short distance from near the top of Dog, though. The original trail follows the current aligment of the Dog Mt. Trail then heads off to the NE near point 2505.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 4th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
VanMarmot wrote:Others probably already know this, but I was interested to find (in the 1976 edition of Spring & Manning's 102 Hikes...) that the alignment of the PCT (then called the Cascade Crest Trail) on the Washington side pre-1975 started at Dog Mtn, went over Augspurger Mtn, past Grassy Knoll and Big Lava Bed, to Big Huckleberry Mtn, and then down to Forest Road 60. Now, after starting at Cascade Locks, the PCT still passes by Big Huckleberry and crosses 60 at Crest Camp. I'd be interested if anyone has a map of the old alignment from Dog Mtn to Crest Camp, as it would make for an interesting "hike through history."
Bruce,

Here you go - this is taken from the old 30 minute series USGS maps and the original late 70's Green Trails maps:

I think I'll go up there and check out what's left. I followed the old alignment a couple of years ago not knowing what it was but it got real brushy and I didn't have the time that day. I only went a short distance from near the top of Dog, though. The original trail follows the current alignment of the Dog Mt. Trail then heads off to the NE near point 2505.

Don
Don,

Thanks for the maps! The section from Big Huckleberry is now called the Grassy Knoll Trail (146). The section from Road 68 to Grassy Knoll is still popular but when I hiked the section from there to Big Huckleberry several years ago it wasn't in good shape. I wonder if the section south from the Knoll to Triangle Pass and from Triangle Pass to the N side of Augspurger can still be found? I also wonder whether the current trail over Augspurger was to avoid the roads and/or the private land around Larson Lakes? In the early 60's, Robert Wills wrote a trail guide for the Cascade Crest Trail. I found a copy on-line and it will be interesting to see what it says about this part of the old trail.

Bruce

fettster

Post by fettster » July 5th, 2011, 8:16 am

Way to get after it! That is Silver Star Mountain in your shot as you thought. Here's an image of mine from the field guide which shows the same profile from along the Bluff Mountain trail:

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » July 6th, 2011, 6:50 am

My girlfriend discovered this sign a couple of weeks ago, about 1/4 mile up from the Dog Mountain Trailhead. I've been past it a dozen times and never noticed it.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 6th, 2011, 6:53 am

Steve, great find! I don't remember seeing one like that anyplace else, either. Lot's of neat old trail signs out there, though. Might make an interesting thread?

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 7th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Don,

My copy of Robert Wills 1962 guide to the CCT arrived. These are shots of Map 20, which covers the trail alignment from Big Huckleberry to Hwy 14 (then US 830). These maps, and the trail description, match the maps you posted here. It's oddly sentimental to read that the lookouts on both Grassy Knoll and Dog were still in service in 1962.

Bruce