Book recommendation: On Mount Hood

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
justpeachy

Book recommendation: On Mount Hood

Post by justpeachy » July 1st, 2011, 9:41 am

I finished On Mount Hood, by Jon Bell last night. Very interesting book! It covers a little bit of everything related to the mountain: volcanoes, logging, weather, the retreating glaciers, climbing, accidents, skiing, search and rescue, the history of Timberline Lodge, the Bull Run watershed, and designating new wilderness areas. Some of the material was familiar, some was new. Highly recommended.

Chase

Re: Book recommendation: On Mount Hood

Post by Chase » July 1st, 2011, 12:00 pm

Thanks Cheryl. I'll pick it up. Be nice to compare it to Grauer's book about Mt. Hood.

Roy

Post by Roy » July 1st, 2011, 9:49 pm

justpeachy wrote:I finished On Mount Hood, by Jon Bell last night. Very interesting book! It covers a little bit of everything related to the mountain: volcanoes, logging, weather, the retreating glaciers, climbing, accidents, skiing, search and rescue, the history of Timberline Lodge, the Bull Run watershed, and designating new wilderness areas. Some of the material was familiar, some was new. Highly recommended.
Thanks for sharing this ones a must for me. If you have any others about any mountains,hiking or mountaineering please share. I have read many. Enjoy history, expeditions and personal experience. Do not care what decade or century they are written I enjoy them all.

I know with your background you most likely know some I have missed.

Thanks Tom.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » July 2nd, 2011, 2:47 pm

I read this, too, and I'll vouch for Cheryl's recommendation. It's a great introduction to the mountain, very well written, with a personal twist. There are older books that go into more historical detail, but few that cover recent events (such as the crash of the rescue helicopter a few years ago). I've been pushing it at the bookstore.

As a bonus, the author thanks a couple of Portlandhikers.org's own in his acknowledgements... :)

jbellink

Post by jbellink » July 11th, 2011, 12:54 pm

Hi All,
Thanks much for the kind words about my book. Cheryl, I really appreciate your recommendation, and Jason, thanks much for pushing the book at your bookstore. Where do you work? And yes, I did thank a couple PDX Hikers (Guy and Chiyoko Meacham) because I stumbled across their post on here about the Japanese inscription up on Cooper Spur. It was the only reliable information I've ever found about that.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

Jon Bell
http://onmounthood.com