Hamilton Mtn 27-Mar-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Hamilton Mtn 27-Mar-2011

Post by VanMarmot » March 27th, 2011, 4:50 pm

I guess Spring is in the air because the urge to go hiking is getting pretty strong - so strong that I willing hurled myself into a wet, soggy, and muddy Gorge just to log a few precious trail miles. Decided on Hamilton. Muddy trail enroute and around the falls, otherwise pretty good. Rain varied from drizzle to big drops but never actually completely stopped.

Still, I was pleased that my rain gear kept me warm, if not actually dry. If I'd wanted dry, I would have stayed home and challenged the cat for more space on the couch. There was a little snow (2-3") right near the top and a nice brisk wind blowing over the summit - bracing!

It started snowing just as I left the summit heading N to the road - but soon it was back to rain. Took Dons Cutoff and then past a pretty energetic Rodney Falls back to the parking lot.

Lots of Mazamas on the trail plus a few other folks. It's basic climbing school season and recent additions to wilderness in the Gorge (a good thing) have put many classic trails off-limits to the large (12+) Mazamas classes - so many have moved to trails outside the wilderness (like Hamilton). A bit crowded but it's only for a month during the less than optimal part of the hiking season and we did get more wilderness.

tweedleedee

Re: Hamilton Mtn 27-Mar-2011

Post by tweedleedee » March 30th, 2011, 2:01 pm

Crazy! I was up there the day before you, and actually had some sun (and some clouds... and some rain... and some hail). It was quite a nice day for a hike.

In contrast to your summit pic, here's one from Saturday :):
2011-03-30_1458 2.jpg

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 30th, 2011, 10:13 pm

That is quite a contrast. Hamilton seems to be right on the cusp of the weather changes this time of year - reverting from spring to winter and back again. I can't wait to get back up there again soon.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » March 31st, 2011, 6:08 am

tweedleedee wrote:Crazy! I was up there the day before you, and actually had some sun (and some clouds... and some rain... and some hail). It was quite a nice day for a hike.

Ah, Spring in Oregon. What a difference a day makes...