Angels Rest 07-Jan-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Angels Rest 07-Jan-2011

Post by VanMarmot » January 7th, 2011, 12:47 pm

It’s not a “tradition”, but my yearly hiking season always seems to start with an out and back of Angels Rest and 2011 is now no exception, what with a quick leg stretch up the Rest just ahead of impending rainy weather. It was certainly not a bluebird day – much warmer than it’s been but still overcast and misty (see, Roy, not all my days off are graced with bluebird weather).

It wasn’t a day for big views or anything to do with sunlight, but there were plenty of images dominated by swirling mists, enveloping gloom, and moody atmospherics.

There were a few inconsequential ice patches on the trail and all of last week’s snow has now melted into long stretches of sticky mud.

This was the view from the boulder field – with no snow and only occasional, fleeting glimpses of Washington.

The Rest itself was completely socked in,

but it was fascinating to watch the mist eddy in on one side of the ridge.

Within 5 minutes of my reaching the top, the mist started turning into a light rain (“Cue the rain, he’s at least 30 minutes from the car!”), so I headed back, catching a [very] brief glimpse of the Columbia along the way.

Angles Rest is probably the most basic (and popular) hike in the Gorge but it's a good quick workout and I'm endlessly fascinated by how it changes with the weather and the seasons. Glad to have it close by!
Last edited by VanMarmot on December 10th, 2017, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weathercrazy

Re: Angles Rest 07-Jan-2010

Post by weathercrazy » January 7th, 2011, 1:51 pm

I wouldn't say I have a starter hike, but I do hike Devil's Rest at least once a year (usually a few times). it's always interesting to see the different seasons up there, but also, what different weather can do to the feel of the hike.

I love the pics of the mist up against the ridge.

awildman

Post by awildman » January 7th, 2011, 2:04 pm

And, hey! Your car wasn't broken into! Success!
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Crusak

Post by Crusak » January 7th, 2011, 3:07 pm

Those were some spooky pictures! I expected to see orcs or goblins pop out at any moment. Seriously. :o

So, temperatures in the Gorge are a little warmer today? Nice, we take what we can get, right? And I second the 'cheers' regarding your intact vehicle waiting for you at the bottom. Always a relief!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 7th, 2011, 9:35 pm

I don't know if it's a starter hike, but I do something like Multnomah Creek or snowshoe to Trillium Lake (or in the old days, Mirror Lake) on Super Bowl Sunday -- places I avoid like the plague on most weekends, but are pleasantly quiet on Super Bowl Sunday (and if you can guess, I have zero interest in the NFL).

-Tom

Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf » January 8th, 2011, 10:22 am

I love the photos- they really put you there! Sounds like you had a nice, quiet hike. I usually do Angel's rest a couple times per year (or at least once), but it always seems to be in the spring or fall and it's usually raining pretty heavy. It's neat to see it in different weather.

To avoid car break-ins, I make sure and have the car interior as clean as possible, with anything extra in the trunk and out of sight. Wouldn't want them breaking in for something they thought was valuable- even if it really wasn't.
Dulcius ex asperis.

morrisphil29

Post by morrisphil29 » January 10th, 2011, 8:21 am

Crusak wrote:Those were some spooky pictures! I expected to see orcs or goblins pop out at any moment. Seriously. :o

Lonely Mountain... This is exactly what I pictured when I first read The Hobbit!