Portland in the Fall 31-Oct-2010

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Portland in the Fall 31-Oct-2010

Post by VanMarmot » November 13th, 2010, 10:02 am

Stuff that needed to get done on Oct 31st meant that, while I couldn’t use the day for a long hike, there was time for a stroll down the E side Springwater Trail. I’m posting these pictures just to remind myself, as we head into the season of unremitting overcast and moistness, that when the weather is nice here, it’s REALLY nice.

Fall colors in the neighborhood,

and a vision of lots and lots of leaves to be raked...

South Waterfront,

and Council Heights across the Willamette.

There was a lot of shouting coming from the river, which turned out to be rowers and not someone needing a rescue.

All these rowers were contrasted by a solitary kayaker making their way around Ross Island.

I went as far as the Sellwood Bridge (which was moving in a disquieting way while I stood on it), which gives you a nice view back toward downtown.

From there, I walked over to Looking Glass Books in Sellwood, browsed, then headed home - about 6 mi RT, no elevation gain.

Peder

Re: Portland in the Fall 31-Oct-2010

Post by Peder » November 13th, 2010, 12:07 pm

VanMarmot - great pictures. I have been thinking of doing a loop from the Sellwood Bridge up through Portland and returning on the second bank. Your pictures certainly encourage me!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

romann

Post by romann » November 13th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Very nice pictures - I like the colors and contrast, not too much and not too little IMO. Does it come from the camera, or you adjust it later? What camera do you use?

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » November 13th, 2010, 7:22 pm

romann wrote:Very nice pictures - I like the colors and contrast, not too much and not too little IMO. Does it come from the camera, or you adjust it later? What camera do you use?
Thanks. I shot slide film for years with Minoltas, then decided to go digital with an Olympus E-420, primarily because it's very light and compact. It's proved to be a pretty rugged little camera too. After a lot of experimenting, I got the contrast, saturation, sharpness, EV, and color-balance controls on the camera set so that post-processing is minimized. I also use a polarizing filter and different metering options depending on the light/dark balance in a shot. The only shots typically needing heavy adjustments are those taken under "extreme" conditions of light/dark - heavy shade, snow, or a bright sky/dark horizon. I also bracket a lot, something I didn't do as much back in the film days.