Memaloose Falls and South Fork Clackamas River

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
BrianEdwards

Re: Memaloose Falls and South Fork Clackamas River

Post by BrianEdwards » July 6th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Very cool, Matt. That is the first photo of the upper tier of Memaloose I've ever seen. My next trip down in there I'm planning on crossing the logjam upstream and getting a shot of that tier.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

moabmatt

Post by moabmatt » July 7th, 2010, 8:19 am

Hi Brian,

Here is a pic of that first falls from below. Judging from your pics from the tunnel's entrance I'd bet that you can access the top of the falls by scrambling directly down from the uphill entrance of the tunnel to the creek without having to deal with the logjam.
mem6.jpg

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » July 9th, 2010, 2:27 am

Dang Matt, that's an excellent shot of that upper tier. You must shoot with a very wide angle, 'cause it looks quite cramped down in that pool area from up on the spine of the ridge.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 9th, 2010, 7:49 am

Great photo, Matt! First I've seen of this tier from the bottom. BTW, if you look closely, there's some crazy guy hanging from a rope, midway up the falls... ;)

-Tom :)

moabmatt

Post by moabmatt » July 9th, 2010, 3:41 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:Dang Matt, that's an excellent shot of that upper tier. You must shoot with a very wide angle, 'cause it looks quite cramped down in that pool area from up on the spine of the ridge.
Hi Brian,

Here's another shot to give some scale to that pool. It's pretty large. We were shooting with nothing fancy - a Pentax Optio W30.
mem7.jpg

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » July 15th, 2010, 3:58 pm

Made another trek down to the three major falls on Memaloose and the South Fork today with new PH member HikingisaMustDo and a friend. Was a good day, the shrubbery and sun hampered most shot angles but still a fun day out.

Memaloose

Tunnel near log bridge

Lower Falls blown out by sun, I didn't even attempt to photograph Clackamas Falls due to the sun/mist

It was a pleasure meeting both of you, happy trails! :)

HikingisaMustDo

Post by HikingisaMustDo » July 18th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Brian,
Yet another awesome day out at Memaloose! In the near future we need to hike down from the Hillockburn trail and gather some shots of that upper falls. Tomorrow I'll be heading back out to gather the garbage I left at the top of the trail. Here's a few shots from the other day that I gathered.Image
Pleasure meeting you too man, hope to hike again in the near future,
Cheers.

HikingisaMustDo

Post by HikingisaMustDo » August 9th, 2010, 9:01 pm

Hello fellow hikers,
The last time I went to Memaloose with Brian, we decided to take some trash bags down there and hike out some of that grotty garbage. I think if everyone who were to visit this trail were to bring a trash bag (make sure its hefty brand, or your going to be smelling death on the hike out) along with a pair of gloves, you could pack out a small amount of trash, reducing the pile of trash from the old grow op near the first cave. One garbage bag full makes a huge difference, and since we all enjoy this remote hiking location we can do our part to make it stay remote, and safe for others, for some time to come.
Thanks a bunch,
Aaron

P.S. I'll be out there tomorrow at 10am hiking the trail once more and hauling out some more trash out :D

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 9th, 2010, 9:56 pm

Thanks for doing that, Aaron - that is a great idea!

-Tom :D

Peder

Post by Peder » August 31st, 2010, 10:50 am

cfm wrote:On the way out, I stopped at the unsightly pile of garbage near the tunnel left by the total jerks who cant pack out what they brought in and grabbed a backpack and filled it with crap. Scrambling back uphill was a bit tougher, but maybe anyone else who visits could remove a little bit on their way out and maybe the pile will eventually disappear.
HikingisaMustDo wrote:The last time I went to Memaloose with Brian, we decided to take some trash bags down there and hike out some of that grotty garbage. I think if everyone who were to visit this trail were to bring a trash bag (make sure its hefty brand, or your going to be smelling death on the hike out) along with a pair of gloves, you could pack out a small amount of trash, reducing the pile of trash from the old grow op near the first cave. One garbage bag full makes a huge difference, and since we all enjoy this remote hiking location we can do our part to make it stay remote, and safe for others, for some time to come.
Many thanks for your good initiatives for cleaning up the area. We would not have done anything, had it not been for your good examples.

If somebody ever invites me to go shooting or offers me a "High Gravity" beer, I think that I will turn them down...
DSC02540 (1).jpg
Greg collecting cartridge cases on the top road on the way out.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…