Lookout Mountain 08-July-2010

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Lookout Mountain 08-July-2010

Post by VanMarmot » July 9th, 2010, 5:55 am

Yesterday (last day of vacation), I hiked up Lookout Mountain via the Gumjuwac Trail. It was heading toward the high 90's in Hood River, but on the trail under the forest canopy - and later at the 6500' summit - temperatures were fine. There was also a good breeze most of the time which also helped with the heat. The trail climbs 1700' through the forest to Gumjuwac Saddle, crosses an old road, and then heads off toward Lookout Mountain. This sign at the saddle harkens back to when there was a lookout on the peak.

Flower season is starting to wane - except for the lupines - but a couple of flowers caught my attention.

Shortly after leaving the saddle, I got a big view toward Warm Springs to the east.

Some large patches of snow could still be found on the final climb to the summit, but they won't last long. As anticipated, it was very pleasant on the summit - with a good breeze for cooling and to push the flies away. There was an iconic view of Hood (I've now seen it from three different directions on three different recent hikes),

and also of Jefferson, the Sisters, and Broken Top,

and Adams and Rainier.

A good hike with great memories to take back to the cubicle...

fettster

Re: Lookout Mountain 08-July-2010

Post by fettster » July 9th, 2010, 7:18 am

Did you start from highway 35 or were you able to drive pretty close to the saddle already?

That sign is an interesting benchmark. Some winters I've been up there you can still find it; others it's completely buried under snow. The one time I've been up to the very summit it was cloudy. I imagine you can see Flagpoint Lookout on a clear day like you had?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 9th, 2010, 8:55 am

I'm guessing Highway 35, based on the elevation gain. One of my favorite hikes -- might try the Divide Trail approach this year. You've had a great hiking week, Van -- I'm on vacation, too, but a "working" one dedicated to some home remodeling. I did get out on Wednesday afternoon, though... might sneak out again before returning to work on Monday, if the warden provides clemency...

;)

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 9th, 2010, 10:02 am

Great pictures for a great hike! I can't wait to do this one again sometime this summer.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 9th, 2010, 11:41 am

fettster wrote:Did you start from highway 35 or were you able to drive pretty close to the saddle already?

That sign is an interesting benchmark. Some winters I've been up there you can still find it; others it's completely buried under snow. The one time I've been up to the very summit it was cloudy. I imagine you can see Flagpoint Lookout on a clear day like you had?
Started from Hwy 35. Being a weekday, there was parking at the TH. I could see from the Sisters to Rainier so I could probably have seen Flagpoint LO if I'd known about it & where to look.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 9th, 2010, 11:45 am

Splintercat wrote:I'm guessing Highway 35, based on the elevation gain. One of my favorite hikes -- might try the Divide Trail approach this year. You've had a great hiking week, Van -- I'm on vacation, too, but a "working" one dedicated to some home remodeling. I did get out on Wednesday afternoon, though... might sneak out again before returning to work on Monday, if the warden provides clemency...

;)
My condolences - as "vacation" and "remodeling" really don't belong in the same sentence. Our last remodeling project was 2-3 years ago and I'm not at all interested in reliving those memories (or sacrificing any more vacation to the cause). Now I'm content to hike and the leave the house to a future of genteel decay...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 9th, 2010, 3:06 pm

VanMarmot wrote:I could see from the Sisters to Rainier so I could probably have seen Flagpoint LO if I'd known about it & where to look.
Here you go, Van -- easy to miss if you're not looking for it. It's the rocky, flat-topped butte in the upper right in this view from the summit of Lookout Mountain (taken in 2009):

Here's a closer view:

The lookout is out of the frame in the second, closer view and too small to see in the first view, but pokes above the treeline at the highest point on the left side of the butte. Definitely visible from Lookout, albeit tiny. The Divide Trail begins near the Flag Point lookout, if you haven't done that one - very nice, and a lot less challenging than Gumjuwac for broken down old goats like me... :lol:

Good advice on the remodeling, by the way... I plan to cease maintenance on this similarly broken down old shack, henceforth...!

:)

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » July 12th, 2010, 6:55 am

I drove to the upper trailhead on July 10th...the road is snow and obstacle free to the High Prairie trailhead. However, the upper half of the former lookout road "trail" is completely covered in heaps of snow, so if you haven't been up it before, I think it might be hard to find your way. There were really no major wildflowers yet in the high prairies....scott