Marys Peak 05-July-2010

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Marys Peak 05-July-2010

Post by VanMarmot » July 5th, 2010, 5:23 pm

We did a short hike on Marys Peak today – my first visit. I worried that the clouds wouldn’t abate (it’s the 5th of July!!!) and that the flowers would be all gone. Wrong on both counts. The clouds parted enough to become picturesque and there were plenty of flowers on the summit – some still emerging. We started on the East Ridge Trail from the Conner’s Camp TH,

then took the Summit Trail to the top. This trail seems to have been realigned lately, as it now goes around the upper parking lot entirely and joins the dirt road to the summit well above the lot. There were all kinds of colorful flowers blooming on the summit – my guess is that they’re running 1-2 weeks late(?).

Image Image

The clouds parted enough to give us a pretty good view from the summit – not all the way to the Cascades or Coast but still worth it.

Image Image

Once the sun came out things warmed a bit but never got out of the high 60’s – perfect hiking weather anytime but somewhat surprising in July (weather report says that tomorrow the temperature is going to shoot up 20 F – we’ll see). Also surprising was the lack of crowds on what seems like a very accessible and popular summit. We also missed any significant “back to Portland after the holiday” traffic on I-5 north-bound. So, overall, a great day!

kelkev

Re: Marys Peak 05-July-2010

Post by kelkev » July 5th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Beautiful photos. Marys Peak is such a great place to see early summer wildflowers. And I was stuck at work today!! Ha!
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

mattisnotfrench

Re: Marys Peak 05-July-2010

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 5th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Nice report! We were up there last weekend and had a fabulous time. You can see from the ocean on one side to the Cascades on the other, and in total, you can see 11 Cascade volcanoes. Truly incredible. The larkspur on the summit meadow was insane...I've never seen that much larkspur in my life.

A highly recommended hike.
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com