Gorton and Mccord creeks

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pyles_94

Gorton and Mccord creeks

Post by pyles_94 » August 4th, 2008, 5:54 pm

this is really late, but a week ago i went to the gorge for some minor bushwhacks. i chose to do gorton creek falls and the upper upper falls on mccord creek.... both pretty easy.

gorton creek falls:

so i found the trailhead at wyeth and started out on the trail 100 feet before it came to a messy junction. a huge log lies across the trail going up the creek and another trail branches off to the right and left.... i continued on the trail on the left side of the creek about half mile to what has been un-officially named emerald falls.

and from the splash pool:

now the "bushwhack" began... its more like a short scramble...

i followed a faint path up the left side of the creek about a hundred yards to the magnificent 100 foot plus waterfall. here it is:

i shot a random video too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj2q-Xnr0SA

the creek below it, including emerald falls is really beautiful. it may be even more photogenic than gorton creek falls...

okay, moving on, i went to the John B Yeon trailhead and hiked up to the cliffs above elowah falls:

then stopped by the upper mccord then continued on to the creek above. i waded across the creek then walked in/by the creek up a few beautiful slides to the "upper upper falls". it is soo beautiful. i think its my new favorite area in the gorge, and i also think it was one of the most beautiful areas on earth. i just fell in love with the falls. i am aware of the faint trail that leads on the right side of the creek, as i have travelled up here in the winter with more water. i wanted to take the scenic route this time. here are some photos:

and a close up:

then i packed up and hiked on out of there! i came home very happy.....
Jamey Pyles

AlexanderSupertramp

Re: Gorton and Mccord creeks

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » August 4th, 2008, 7:02 pm

Good stuff Jamey. You're photos are great!

Adam

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 4th, 2008, 9:21 pm

Nice work, Jamey - I like the profile view of Gorton Creek Falls, and also the mini-pano of the Gorge from above Elowah!

Tom

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » August 4th, 2008, 9:49 pm

Thanks adam and tom!

i just got a polarizer a few days before this trip and i had already tested it out once... i was still super stoked to use it. you can especially tell the difference on the elowah canyon pano... i love the polarizer! it works great and definitely helps pictures turn out good.
Jamey Pyles

greglief

Post by greglief » August 5th, 2008, 9:32 am

Hi Jamey,

It looks like you are putting that new polarizer to very good use. Your photos keep improving with every outing... well done!

Greg
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 5th, 2008, 7:29 pm

You know, Jamey - it's not PC with the hardcore camera Nazis, but I keep polarizers on all of my lenses in lieu of a skylight filter. Yes, there are two pieces of glass instead of one, and yes, it costs me an f-stop or two at the bottom end, but it's convenient, and I almost never shoot an image that doesn't benefit in some way from using it.

It's also the one thing I don't like about my point-and-shoot "belt" camera that I've been carrying this year, since it's a pain to mount filters on that thing. So instead, I underexpose in order to limit some of the glare.

-Tom