Mt Adams loop

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Pnw.hiker

Re: Mt Adams loop

Post by Pnw.hiker » April 14th, 2010, 7:33 am

There was no trail between Avalanche Valley and Sunrise Camp when I hiked the loop several years ago. The Green Trails map show one. The river at the base of Klicitat glacier was too high to cross so I went over the ice, right at the base. After crossing the glacier/creek, you can climb to Sunrise Camp by skirting the glacier edge. Lots of loose boulders, careful!

Didn't see any hikers at all on the east side of the Mountain until Sunrise Camp, Just mountain goats.

There are two sections of the Yakima Nation to cross when hiking the loop - the old boundary and the new boundary from the 70's. These are clearly shown on the USGS DRG http://ia331316.us.archive.org/3/items/ ... 6121b4.tif. Backpackers are not allowed in the old boundary at the northeast side of the mountain, between Devils Garden and Avalanche Valley. However, there was a trail there and I was told that if you hike through and behave yourself, you probably won't get hassled. It's about a mile through the old boundary.

(note: following information is several years old...)
Permits are required to hike in the Yakima Nation. They have an office at Bird Creek Road (509 945 6319) that's open a few times a year to collect fees, on Labor Day for example. The main office is; Yakama Nation - Department of Natural Resources Forest Development Program (509) 865 5121, ext. 657. Give them a call before hiking and ask about permits. I was told to carry the $5 dollar fee and pay a Yakima Ranger if I ran into one. I carried it in an addressed envelope and mailed it in after the hike, since I didn't see any rangers.

merlin33

Post by merlin33 » April 14th, 2010, 8:03 am

Thank you. The window I had last year to do it didn't work weather wise (especially since I was solo). Hope to make it this year.

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » May 5th, 2010, 11:49 am

merlin33 wrote:Thank you. The window I had last year to do it didn't work weather wise (especially since I was solo). Hope to make it this year.
I spent one night sleeping under the stars on top of a moraine at the base of the Klickitat Glacier. It was the most beautiful dark-sky condition I've ever seen - amazing huge view, absolutely stunning. I just laid there for hours on my back watching shooting stars and the Milky Way. Might try to repeat for the Perseids this year.

Joeshmo

Post by Joeshmo » September 4th, 2020, 8:10 am

Anyone know if there’s cell service I. “The gap” section? I don’t have a spot device...