Dry Creek Trail 194 and partial Big Hollow Tr 158

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
BaileyBoy

Dry Creek Trail 194 and partial Big Hollow Tr 158

Post by BaileyBoy » March 7th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Bailey and I went in to do a trail condition for GPNF and this was the first time I've ever been on the Dry Creek Trail in the Trapper Creek Wilderness. See my trail report but it is a beautiful walk along a lovely creek.
The trail was in excellent condition with only 2 areas of some erosion and 6-8 areas were leaning trees were suspended above the trail but none was hazardous. There was a few areas of downed trees but no real obstacles and the trail had only minimum debris scattered intermittently. There was a sketchy creek crossing but with the help of a couple of saplings no wet feet.
P1070749.JPG
Minor erosion
P1070759.JPG
A few small leaning trees
P1070775.JPG
Sketchy creek crossing
The Big Hollow trail was clear from the creek to the trail head but heading up the trail toward Observation Peak was a different story. We hiked up about 1.3 miles to 2600"+ elevation and there were 4 areas with quite a bit of downfall. The first part of the trail was in very good condition. Lots of elk tracks and what I think were cougar tracks and scat.
P1070793.JPG
Bit of a mess
P1070800.JPG
More of a mess
Skip

Charley

Re: Dry Creek Trail 194 and partial Big Hollow Tr 158

Post by Charley » March 7th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Awwww, Bailey looks so disappointed. Don't worry, buddy, someone will come and clear that up for ya!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Ryan Ojerio

Post by Ryan Ojerio » March 8th, 2010, 11:17 am

Thanks for all the great trip reports in the Trapper Creek area! Perhaps the Gifford Pinchot will want us to work on some of those at the upcoming Trail Skills College on April 16-18.

I know that they have asked WTA to do some work on the Big Slide Trail later this summer, which I have yet to hike.
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » March 8th, 2010, 1:24 pm

Ryan, thanks and maybe I'll get back there later this week and do a report on the Big Slide Trail since there is a waterfall above the Observation Trail near the junction that I want to get a closer look at.

I didn't know GP maintained the Big Slide trail since it's a Mazama trail, or at least I thought it was just like the Sunshine Trail.

Charley, Bailey may have looked a bit depressed but that's only because he was standing still - this dog is a moving machine.

Skip