Cabin Creek Attempt

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
pyles_94

Cabin Creek Attempt

Post by pyles_94 » June 19th, 2008, 8:07 am

on tuesday i got together with my brothers and we headed up to the starvation rest area. our goal was to hike up there to the creek crossing of cabin creek and bushwhack as far as we could. well i'll tell you unless your willing to litterally HACK your way through the brush, there is no realistic way to get up anywhere far (unless you wanted to take maybe... all day from morning to evening). i would have gone farther up there if i had known for sure that there was at least a waterfall or something. ugg thats the densest brush ive ever seen! like a total brush hell! :twisted: we went about half mile up

ok here are some pictures. i used my extremely old SHARP camera to see how it does with slow shutter speeds and such. it worked ok

heres cabin creek falls

and heres how brushy it was up the creek where i turned around;

and heres a detail creek shot
Jamey Pyles

Splintercat

Re: Cabin Creek Attempt

Post by Splintercat » June 19th, 2008, 12:21 pm

Jamey, I think you saved me a trip up there! I noticed the beauty of the creek at the trail crossing, too, and had wondered what was upstream. But I might try going downstream, since there were some pretty sections that you could see below the trail - no more than a couple hundred yards below the crossing. Both of your falls shots are excellent - especially the second shot! Terrific! Print and frame it! :o

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » June 19th, 2008, 12:28 pm

Splintercat wrote:Jamey, I think you saved me a trip up there! I noticed the beauty of the creek at the trail crossing, too, and had wondered what was upstream. But I might try going downstream, since there were some pretty sections that you could see below the trail - no more than a couple hundred yards below the crossing. Both of your falls shots are excellent - especially the second shot! Terrific! Print and frame it! :o

thanks, and yes, it looks very beautiful downstream, and i wanted to go down all the way to the top of cabin creek falls, but my brothers werent up to it... i guess next time!
Jamey Pyles

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 19th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Jamey, have you seen the Canyoneering Northwest images of their rappel over Cabin Creek Falls? Here's the link.

Tom

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » June 19th, 2008, 7:08 pm

yeah, i saw that once before, in a different post here. thanks for bringing it back up! i think next time for sure im going down there... i want to see those twenty footers and the top of the falls! it looks pretty nice!
Jamey Pyles

chameleon

Post by chameleon » June 22nd, 2008, 9:35 pm

Great photos Jamey. Sounds like you guys had a good trip! I agree with Tom, that second photo down is the best of the bunch. Keep up the good work!
-Zach