A Loop Around Devil's Rest 05-Feb-2010

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

A Loop Around Devil's Rest 05-Feb-2010

Post by VanMarmot » February 5th, 2010, 4:31 pm

Another day off & another break in the weather – what happy coincidence! Took the long way around from Angel’s Rest to Devil’s Rest. Up to Angel’s Rest, then the 415/410/420 trails over to Multnomah Creek, up to the service road, that back to Devil’s Rest, and finally the Foxglove Trail to Angel’s Rest and the trailhead. It was a dry day but the clouds swirled incessantly around the Gorge. This view from Angel’s Rest toward Portland shows the promise of blue sky but also clouds hugging the mountains – for the most part, the clouds won throughout the day – with the sun not making a solid appearance until I was headed back.

For some reason I find tree fungus fascinating – why something so inert is so colorful and why something so inedible looks like a desert custard.

When I got up to the plateau just below Devil’s Rest, the clouds were backlit from the north from sunlight reflecting out of the Gorge and lit from the south by direct sunlight. It was like being in a giant cathedral (which, to me, it is).

Image Image

From the good viewpoint just before Devil’s Rest, the ever changing clouds granted me a view of Silver Star (once again with a bit of snow on it) and even of Adams far to the NE.

Although I keep waiting for the other weather shoe to drop – the “great blizzard of May 2010” or some such – today was pretty darn nice hiking weather for February.

BaileyBoy

Re: A Loop Around Devil's Rest 05-Feb-2010

Post by BaileyBoy » February 5th, 2010, 5:30 pm

VM, you really have that camera working to perfection. All the photos are beautiful and I agree that fungus looks pretty delectable with the slight damp glow. Tell me again which camera you purchased and are you using any filters or ????

Skip

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » February 5th, 2010, 7:19 pm

BaileyBoy wrote:VM, you really have that camera working to perfection. All the photos are beautiful and I agree that fungus looks pretty delectable with the slight damp glow. Tell me again which camera you purchased and are you using any filters or ????

Skip
Thanks! It's an Olympus E-420 with the 25mm pancake lens. It's billed as the lightest DSLR on the market (just over 1 lb) - low weight was a key specification for me. It's my first Olympus camera (after years with Minolta then Nikon) and (despite the numerous controls) I found it very intuitive to use. I always use a skylight 1A haze filter (or a circular polarizer if it's sunny) but have adjusted the controls for increased constrast, saturation, and sharpness, with a slight increase in color temperature. Post-processing (e.g., PhotoShop) seems to be popular with digital photographers but the old film habit dies hard and my preference is to try to get as close to the image I want with just the camera alone - which is an ongoing challenge...
-VM

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » February 5th, 2010, 7:43 pm

Wow...very impressive pictures! Really like the play in the skies as I am weathercrazy!!!

markesc

Post by markesc » February 5th, 2010, 11:19 pm

Great work! I think everyone is def. getting better!!! Really been enjoying the increased quality in images over the past year or so :)

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » February 5th, 2010, 11:20 pm

VanMarmot wrote:my preference is to try to get as close to the image I want with just the camera alone - which is an ongoing challenge...
Definitely - it's a thrill to sit down to edit and realize you don't need to.

That loop never gets old and I love hiking it, but I've never seen it "Cathedral" like that. Great shots! I don't know which is better - your photos, or your luck at matching day's off with breaks in the weather.

joerunner

Post by joerunner » February 8th, 2010, 8:10 am

I was up there for a loop around Devils from Angels on Friday myself. I was with my dog. That ridge east of Devils rest is a great place for early morning "cathedral" lighting affect. Nice report.

ErinL

Post by ErinL » February 8th, 2010, 8:57 am

Friday was an absolutely gorgeous day. I will admit that I am more than just slightly jealous!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » February 9th, 2010, 6:29 am

joerunner wrote:I was up there for a loop around Devils from Angels on Friday myself. I was with my dog. That ridge east of Devils rest is a great place for early morning "cathedral" lighting affect. Nice report.
You must have been the runner who pulled into the parking lot just after me and then passed me before the bridge. Cute dog. You two probably made the loop in an hour....