Kings Mtn 24-Dec-09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Kings Mtn 24-Dec-09

Post by VanMarmot » December 24th, 2009, 4:05 pm

I was anticipating taking advantage of this great weather to do the Elk-Kings Traverse. However, getting to the trailhead took longer than expected because of fog & a little ice. As a late return was not an option on Xmas Eve, I just hiked Kings Mountain. Despite it having snowed this week, the trail was essentially snow free most of the way up.

There was about a foot of moderately consolidated snow right on top (the last 0.3 mi after the picnic table), which actually made it easier to climb this rocky upper part.

Soon Hood came into view,

and then Adams. This point where you first catch a glimpse of Adams is also where the East Ridge use trail reaches the summit.

The wind picked-up as I neared the summit, but by continuing along to the ridge beyond, I was able to find a sheltered sunny spot for lunch, with a blue sky/white snow view almost to the ocean.

Before heading back, I checked the condition of the trail that traverses over to Elk Mountain – open and visible under about 2” of slick snow but no ice. The recent snow storms hadn’t added much to what snow there was on the shady side of Kings. Had time allowed, the traverse would have been good.

mayhem

Re: Kings Mtn 24-Dec-09

Post by mayhem » December 24th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Nice, very nice, one of my favorite workouts. Probably better you did not do the loop. My opinion it is better to do the loop the other way.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » December 25th, 2009, 8:45 am

mayhem wrote:Nice, very nice, one of my favorite workouts. Probably better you did not do the loop. My opinion it is better to do the loop the other way.
I agree. I usually do the loop going up the Wilson River trail, then over Elk to King. I did it clockwise for the first time last summer and did not enjoy descending Elk at all. My plan this time (if I'd had the time) was to descend via the Elk Creek Trail, then take the river trail back. But it would have been real chilly down along the creek out of the sun.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » December 25th, 2009, 12:06 pm

VanMarmot wrote:
mayhem wrote:Nice, very nice, one of my favorite workouts. Probably better you did not do the loop. My opinion it is better to do the loop the other way.
I agree. I usually do the loop going up the Wilson River trail, then over Elk to King. I did it clockwise for the first time last summer and did not enjoy descending Elk at all. My plan this time (if I'd had the time) was to descend via the Elk Creek Trail, then take the river trail back. But it would have been real chilly down along the creek out of the sun.
Baammmm! Could not have put it any better. I have never done the Elk creek trail but plan on doing it soon.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!