Convertible hiking pants decision

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
TodF

Convertible hiking pants decision

Post by TodF » August 27th, 2022, 10:35 am

I ripped my convertible (zip-off leg) hiking/backpacking pants, and discovered that convertible pants with vertical leg zippers (for removing the leg without removing your shoe) are not that common. Now am trying to decide between 2 pants. One is the Mountain Hardwear Stryder Convertible, and the other is the KUHL Renegade Convertible. The Stryder has lightweight and relatively thin (but still robust) fabric; the Renegade is 1/4 lb heavier, with thicker fabric and more features.

All the convertible pants I've had in the past have been made of pretty lightweight fabric. I'm trying to decide whether it makes sense to have heavier/warmer fabric for a zip-off to make them more versatile, or whether that just means the shorts will be foolishly warmer when it's hot out.

Would anyone care to share their experience? Or just experience with going from lightweight pants to heavier pants for hiking/backpacking? 1/4 pound seems like a lot, doesn't it?

dmthomas49

Re: Convertible hiking pants decision

Post by dmthomas49 » August 27th, 2022, 12:39 pm

I have been using the Columbia Sportswear convertable pants for years in both cold and warm weather. They are durable and clean up well. They have the horizonal zippers that have not failed.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 27th, 2022, 1:20 pm

I've never worn shorts that felt "too warm." Pants yes, but once the legs come off they all feel the same to me.

By the way, I've taken to buying used hiking pants on eBay. Soooo much cheaper.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 27th, 2022, 3:06 pm

Kuhl Renegades fit me better than any convertible I've tried (I'm tall) and are pretty good. I wish they had some stretch, but they've never quite restricted my movement in tight moves. They are, as you point out, a bit sturdy, but I'm a happy camper.

I've tried some gotta-pull-the-boots styles in the past...never again.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 28th, 2022, 4:13 pm

TodF wrote:
August 27th, 2022, 10:35 am
Would anyone care to share their experience?
Okay, but I guarantee you'll find it of no value.
I was descending Shasta, in May I think, still snowy, and arrived at a popular rest site, maybe around 8000' elevation. Somebody said "those fleece pants must be really hot". I said "well, I've been descending, so not so bad". Then I unzipped the sides, whipped them off, and in seconds I was standing there in what I would describe as something between boxer briefs and bike shorts. Ahhh, much better.

TodF

Post by TodF » August 29th, 2022, 7:17 am

Thanks for the help.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 29th, 2022, 1:26 pm

The pants with the leg zippers are great for those days where its cool in the morning and warm in the afternoon. They are a big plus if your hiking boots aren't huge. For tennis shoes, very easy on/off, for size 13 high-tops, it's more of a struggle. As for winter-wear, that really depends on your ability to generate heat. I found they worked fin for me in temperatures above 45 degrees, but when it got into the 30s they pants were much too thin. I generate quite a bit of heat when I walk, so people with less heating ability would have a different threshold for comfort. The other issue was with the quality of zippers in more recent production - it's really a problem on those cold days when the zipper just worked itself apart.