Goat Rocks (Hawkeye) snow update July 8-10

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
romann

Goat Rocks (Hawkeye) snow update July 8-10

Post by romann » July 15th, 2022, 8:32 pm

Can't post a full trip report tonight, but if anyone is interested in conditions up there I'll do a quick update. Note that it was a week ago, so snow conditions likely improved quite a bit.

Went up Goat Ridge trail up to Hawkeye Peak summit. 2 nights in Jordan Basin. Failed going to Goat Lake from that direction.

- Trail is in OK condition. There were maybe a couple dozen trees down, but most are step-overs
- Snow is more an issue, once you get to around 5700-5900' (past the steep part of the trail), there are sections from several hundred feet to maybe half mile covered in snow. And long, totally melted out sections in between. Mostly, steep slopes were snow-fee and gullies and flats still had deep snow.
- Gravel road from SR 12 along Johnson Creek wasn't graded as of last weekend, many potholes, ok in a small car but slower than usual
- Lots of snow-free spots to camp, I wouldn't worry about having to camp on snow
- Bugs were bad in the forest. Much better but still noticeable above treeline
- Getting onto the pass over Goat Ridge was partially on snow. East side of the pass (toward the lake) was almost 100% snow and no tracks. Tried it in crampons but snow slope was allmost slush - poor traction - and I didn't have an axe. Could be much better by now?
- Uppermost ridge up Hawkeye is melted out
DSC_6379.JPG
View to Old Snowy and Ives from Goat Ridge Pass
DSC_6658.JPG
Despite the looks, getting past snowdrift on the pass is easy. But going farther [UT the slope gets steep
DSC_6634.JPG
Old Snowy close up. You may recognize a small falls (the trail is on talus, would be just below it), and an open "cirque" meadow you cross on summer trail
DSC_6818_01.JPG
Looking back at Jordan Basin
DSC_6667.JPG
Early flowers
DSC_6669.JPG
DSC_6680.JPG
Steep part just before Jordan Basin was (thankfully) snow-free..
DSC_6748.JPG
..but farther down there's a 1/2 mile section with deep snow. And another half mile section down that way, where trail is going on a small plateau
DSC_6722.JPG
Hawkeye Peak ("Point"?) on the left, Old Snowy on the right
DSC_6613_stitch.jpg
I am always fascinated by that snow pile on the last saddle before Hawkeye. But this time it was taller I've ever seen it!
DSC_6601.JPG
DSC_6590.JPG
View from summit ridge of Hawkeye Peak
DSC_6572.JPG
Johnson Peak and Rainier
DSC_6459.JPG
Going back - distant Gilbert Peak, Horn, and Goat Citadel
DSC_6847.JPG
Last edited by romann on July 15th, 2022, 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

romann

Re: Goat Rocks (Hawkeye) snow update July 8-10

Post by romann » July 15th, 2022, 8:38 pm

North side of Mt. Adams (big picture)
DSC_6848_02.JPG
Come summer, plant life doesn't waste time waiting for snow to be gone
DSC_6739.JPG
DSC_6696.JPG
DSC_6713.JPG
Lenticulars on last night
DSC_6715.JPG
Cat tax
DSC_6354.JPG

drm

Post by drm » July 16th, 2022, 7:40 am

I think this is going to be one of those years when Goat Lake never fully melts out.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » July 16th, 2022, 11:02 am

This is very timely. My wife and I are eyeing up a goat rocks weekend trip and have been looking for info on snow levels. Thanks for writing up this report.