Hello fellow Oregonians and the rest of this beautiful World!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
rodeck

Hello fellow Oregonians and the rest of this beautiful World!

Post by rodeck » October 3rd, 2021, 10:43 am

I would like to induce myself and say hello to this incredible community.

I recently moved to Oregon a little over a year ago from Chicago. I have 2 lifelong friends that have lived here for over 20 years. In the past I would take a trip to Oregon around September every few years to hang out with them. My main goal is to go on a hike and be humbled by the raw beauty of mother nature. Every trip to Oregon never disappointed and after my first trip it immediately felt like my second home.

Back in Chicago my life was turned upside down after I lost two of the three of the most influential figures in my life to cancer. My Father and Uncle were my anchor and when they were gone I was suddenly a ship drifting through unknown waters. I lost my identity and became a shell of my previous self. After a few years of deep introspectiveness and looking for answers. A move away from Chicago and a fresh restart on life became my new drive towards the next chapter of my life.

Moving to Oregon has ignited a fire in my heart that I wasn't sure if I would get back. I never thought that losing two family members could provide so much motivation to start living your own life. I have recently focused all my energy on prioritizing my mental and psychical health above everything else. The journey started 8 weeks ago and the OregonHikers website has played a key role in its current success. My goal is to complete 52 hikes in 52 weeks. This website has allowed me to easily search for hikes with tremendous information and easy to plan details. Without the references listed on this site I am not sure I would be as confident in achieving my goal.

I was never really on any social media platform before but recently as well I set up an Instagram page to help provide additional motivation. I was surprised how creativity can be such a powerful motivator. I am documenting the incredible beauty of the Pacific Northwest while channeling my inspiration on why I am going on these hikes. I just completed my 8th hike and all planning was done through the OregonHikers website. I want to say thank you to this community for providing such precise and detailed information, it has been a major reason for my recent success.

Gnarl Ridge from Hood River Meadows Hike was week #8 Hike. I am finding each week my ability to present and share these incredible experiences is improving. This week's hike was so inspirational and powerful for me.

Hike on OregonHikers.org
Gnarl Ridge from Hood River Meadows Hike

I hope I can help contribute to this community and spread the word about the great resources available. Take care everyone and of course, Have a Great Day!

Instagram Video of Hike

YouTube Video of Hike
Attachments
Lamberson Butte Summit Celebration.jpg
Lamberson Butte Summit Celebration
Last edited by rodeck on October 21st, 2021, 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

retired jerry

Re: Hello fellow Oregonians and the rest of this beautiful World!

Post by retired jerry » October 3rd, 2021, 12:08 pm

welcome

"ignited a fire in my heart"

just no fires in the wild :)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 3rd, 2021, 7:11 pm

Welcome, rodeck! Never watched an Instagram video before being generally averse to social media - excellent job!

rodeck

Post by rodeck » October 5th, 2021, 4:19 pm

Thanks for the kind words. Looking forward to contributing to this website anyway I can. Really impressive amount of resources here. Planning out this weeks hike and the endless possibilities are awesome!

drm

Post by drm » October 11th, 2021, 6:30 pm

If you are already summitting Lamberson Butte and it's only hike #8, the sky is the limit for you! Good luck and I will be looking for your trip reports.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 12th, 2021, 9:01 am

Welcome to the healing nature of the Pacific Northwest and welcome to OregonHikers.org. I'm looking forward to following your adventures.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir