Harts Cove from Neskowin

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
PatrickL

Harts Cove from Neskowin

Post by PatrickL » September 9th, 2021, 12:12 pm

Hi all,
I am trying to hike from Neskowin to Knight County Park without walking on 101. I think I have a pretty good route figured using Harts Cove Trail, Cascade Head Trail, and FS 1861.

There appears to be a trail from South Neskowin to Harts Cove. The legal status of this trail is not clear to me, and neither is how accessible it is. Here is the issues I need guidance on:

There appears to be a trail, based on references to it several places online. It also is shown on Caltopo and openstreet, so there definitely seems to be a trail. However:
1. Is the trail illegal? I have read different things that leave it question in doubt to me. Certainly the seasonal closure does not apply this time of year, so it would not be illegal on that basis; however some sources seem refer to the trail itself as "an illegal trail."
2. The trail seems to start at the end of a road in a gated community. I will be on foot, so I don't need to drive up there.
A. Can I simply walk around the gate? I haven't seen any photos of it so I'm not sure exactly what it looks like.
B. If I do, will I be trespassing?
C. If I am not trespassing, should I still expect any resistance a from gated community people by walking around the gate?

I have previously cut through another gated community on the coast near Neahkahnie Mountain before and didn't have any problems, in fact one of the residents happily pointed my wife and I to the easiest route down to the beach. Hoping this experience will be similar.

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you!

Patrick L.

cfm

Re: Harts Cove from Neskowin

Post by cfm » September 9th, 2021, 6:10 pm

I've been on that trail, somewhere around 2006 and discussed it later with none other than Russ Jolley! The locals use it, you can walk around the gate and head up to our public land! I recall well worn tread but lots of massive blow down trees that had workarounds.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » September 9th, 2021, 6:14 pm

https://stateparks.oregon.gov/ckFiles/f ... -Map-3.pdf

You've probably already researched the Oregon State Parks site, but here's the map section for this section of the trail.

PatrickL

Post by PatrickL » September 9th, 2021, 6:19 pm

BigBear wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 6:14 pm
https://stateparks.oregon.gov/ckFiles/f ... -Map-3.pdf

You've probably already researched the Oregon State Parks site, but here's the map section for this section of the trail.
Yes, but it seems they want you walking on 101 for some or all of the area from Neskowin to Lincoln City which does not interest me at all.

PatrickL

Post by PatrickL » September 9th, 2021, 6:20 pm

cfm wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 6:10 pm
I've been on that trail, somewhere around 2006 and discussed it later with none other than Russ Jolley! The locals use it, you can walk around the gate and head up to our public land! I recall well worn tread but lots of massive blow down trees that had workarounds.
Much appreciated, thanks!