9/7/21 - 9/8/21 Herman Creek to Eagle Creek via Chinidere, Wahtum

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
PatrickL

9/7/21 - 9/8/21 Herman Creek to Eagle Creek via Chinidere, Wahtum

Post by PatrickL » September 9th, 2021, 2:19 pm

I wrote a long report on this but it disappeared into cyberspace, so this is an abbreviated one.

I hiked from Herman Creek TH (3 piles of broken auto glass there...spooky - left doors unlocked, worked out ok.)

Had planned 3 days/2 nights but its pretty much all down hill from Wahtum to Eagle Creek TH so I did it in 2 days/1 night.

Plenty of water along the way between sources in HC drainage, Wahtum, and EC. No one on Herman creek trail all the way to Chinidere, where a group of a dozen joined me briefly before I left.

2 people at Wahtum breaking camp.

First time to Wahtum and Chinidere, really cool.

First time on Eagle Creek, burnt to hell once you go down a ways from Wahtum but still stunning overall. Noticeable lack of shade in burnt part. Would be unpleasant hiking in crowds on lower part of that trail. Handful of people on upper part of EC. Several people on EC after tunnel falls but just (1) self important nutcase with off leash dogs on very narrow trail with deadly drop off thankfully.

Frog.jpg
frog at waterfall on HCT
hazy.jpg
Haze in woods on way up to Chinidere
Mt. Hood.jpg
Hood and Wahtum.jpg
Views from Chinidere
Wahtum.jpg
Wahtum Lake
ECT.jpg
The narrow ECT, as advertised
pool.jpg
Pool on EC
Tunnel Falls.jpg
Tunnel falls is pretty cool

3.3 mi.jpg
I could almost taste the coke with ice when I got here

That was it. Got a ride back to HCTH and found my truck intact. There is no place to buy a coke with ice in cascade locks, so I had to settle for a Mr. Misti at DQ in Troutdale, which was an acceptable substitute.

I think in total its around 25 miles and 5000' EG. Great time overall!
Attachments
trickle.jpg
pool 2.jpg

retired jerry

Re: 9/7/21 - 9/8/21 Herman Creek to Eagle Creek via Chinidere, Wahtum

Post by retired jerry » September 9th, 2021, 2:29 pm

that's weird your report disappeared, thanks for the 2nd abbreviated one

the last time I parked at Herman Creek TH was a few years ago and someone took my gas, plus it cost a few $100 to fix it

maybe next time I'll park down below on the road where more people can see it

(or, maybe the fuel line just degraded with time and finally broke, leaked all the gas on the ground, but I think I would have smelled it?)

drm

Post by drm » September 9th, 2021, 3:03 pm

Since you had an extra day, you could have walked back to the HC trailhead on the Gorge trail! I think the connection is 8 miles. Though part of it is right next to the freeway, so not so nice.

No fast food place to get a soda with ice in CL? That seems strange.

PatrickL

Post by PatrickL » September 9th, 2021, 3:13 pm

retired jerry wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 2:29 pm
that's weird your report disappeared, thanks for the 2nd abbreviated one

the last time I parked at Herman Creek TH was a few years ago and someone took my gas, plus it cost a few $100 to fix it

maybe next time I'll park down below on the road where more people can see it

(or, maybe the fuel line just degraded with time and finally broke, leaked all the gas on the ground, but I think I would have smelled it?)
You definitely would have smelled a spilled tank of gas. I considered parking down there, this is the first time I didn't this year - the gate was either locked or the lot full during my other visits. I figured it was a coin flip to park either spot for 2 nights and not have my truck burgled, so I went for the lot just to avoid the walk up from the road to the TH.

PatrickL

Post by PatrickL » September 9th, 2021, 3:24 pm

drm wrote:
September 9th, 2021, 3:03 pm
Since you had an extra day, you could have walked back to the HC trailhead on the Gorge trail! I think the connection is 8 miles. Though part of it is right next to the freeway, so not so nice.

No fast food place to get a soda with ice in CL? That seems strange.
My plan B was to try and camp at eagle creek CG and hike back the next day if my wife had not agreed to come pick up me up. I took the easy way out!

Strictly speaking, I was looking for a COKE with ice . There are 2 gas stations in CL, one doesn't have a fountain machine, the other closes super early (before 4 pm) for some reason. I checked the charburger or whatever its called now but they were closed and sell pepsi anyway. There is a burger drive in at the east end but I didn't feel like doing any additional searching at that point so I just headed home.