What's this?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
JustSomeHiker

What's this?

Post by JustSomeHiker » September 8th, 2021, 9:34 am

I came across this formation of stones in Indian Heaven Wilderness yesterday. Definitely seems man made and it was roughly person size, so I was wondering if maybe it was a grave marker? It seemed too small to be the foundation of a structure. Any thoughts?
Attachments
Stone Triangle.jpg

Aimless

Re: What's this?

Post by Aimless » September 8th, 2021, 10:52 am

The squared-off nature of the stones and their symmetrical arrangement makes it a cinch they are the work of human hands. I agree they are a marker of some kind. I'd hesitate to think they mark a grave site, if only because it's so unlikely anyone would transport a human corpse that far without a means of easy transport and it doesn't look old enough to predate the wilderness designation. That's all the thoughts I have.

BigBear

Re: What's this?

Post by BigBear » September 8th, 2021, 6:40 pm

My first guess would be part of the "X" for a helicopter landing spot for emergency evacuations, etc. This would be only one of the four sections.