Wallowas Ridge Walking: 7/7/21-7/9/21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.

Are the Google Earth video tours of value in a TR? Does anyone watch them?

1. I watch them every time.
47%
2. I watch them sometimes.
29%
3. I never watch them.
24%

Total votes: 17

keithcomess

Re: Wallowas Ridge Walking: 7/7/21-7/9/21

Post by keithcomess » July 11th, 2021, 1:44 pm

Aimless wrote:
July 11th, 2021, 12:30 pm
The 'metal object' looks like the sort of tent stake you'd use with a big old canvas tent packed in on a mule.
Thanks for that info! I wouldn't have guessed.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 12th, 2021, 9:31 am

Thanks for the comments everyone.

It looks like early voting indicates the Google Earth video tours are of some value. As a mapping and data geek, I love Google Earth for the ability to zoom in, scroll and spin around and for route research and reliving past trips.

Bosterson: Your climbing and scrambling skills are above mine. I’ve seen you do things that scare me. Conversely, things I’ve done would make another person crap their pants. Looking to the left of where I descended out of Honeymoon Basin, it does look more complicated.

DRM: Yeah, I’m trying to get as much aggressive stuff done before my body can’t do it anymore. I probably have 5 more year left of these kind or trips. Maybe more, we’ll see.

BurnsideBob: The Sierras are on my list too. I’m glad you enjoyed the TR.

Bobcat: You also giving up on Cusick makes me more confident I made the right decision. Everyone has their own comfort level.

DN: Like I said, get out there before the West is on fire and full of smoke.

Keith/Aimless: Yes, the found metal object was a large tent stake. I can’t imagine hauling a tent the size that requires such a large stake up that avalanche chute. Maybe a prospector from years ago. People do crazy things for gold.

Leiavoia: The route from Tenderfoot Pass to Petes Point was the easiest of the peaks on this trip. Except from Polaris Pass to Peak 9395 and from Dollar Pass to Dollar Ridge.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

proxie

Post by proxie » July 12th, 2021, 7:20 pm

Pretty comprehensive trip report, thanks!

Charley

Post by Charley » July 12th, 2021, 9:05 pm

Wow. Great trip and great report! This has been on my bucket list for YEARS and I'm so happy to have a great trip report to bookmark.
Thanks!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

tschalpi

Post by tschalpi » July 23rd, 2021, 7:47 pm

Very cool trip, congrats!

There is a good game trail that leads from Cusik to the Honeymoon basin. You can see the route on my track at https://www.christofteuscher.com/aagaa/ ... -completed

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 24th, 2021, 10:27 am

tschalpi wrote:
July 23rd, 2021, 7:47 pm
There is a good game trail that leads from Cusik to the Honeymoon basin. You can see the route on my track at https://www.christofteuscher.com/aagaa/ ... -completed
Wow! And I though I had an obsession with doing the Wallowas high route.

Looking at your downloaded tracks in Google Earth, I see the route you took from Cusick to Honeymoon Basin. In reference to going up from HB to Cusick, you went to the right slightly before where I turned back. I see an animal trail going that way, which bypasses the location I thought was too dangerous for my ability. I went the way it looked like everyone else went. Maybe I'll try it again someday.

Thanks for the tracks!

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports