Cedar Cr., Alway Tr. and bears, oh my!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Cedar Cr., Alway Tr. and bears, oh my!

Post by Don Nelsen » July 6th, 2021, 4:07 pm

I’ve been wanting to do this loop ever since I found out about the possibility and the stars aligned just right on the fourth of July.

It was another of my blistering starts as we arrived at the Cedar Cr. TH at 12:30 and headed up the trail a short way to do a final bit of clipping to make the trail a little more inviting. That done, we drove the mile and a quarter to the road 68/Alway Tr. junction, parked, and walked back to the Cedar Creek Trail. We decided that the road walk was better done first and gotten out of the way rather than last.

The now completely cleared Cedar Creek Trail is a delight and ready for prime-time. Hopefully, more folks will put bootprints on this route and keep it maintained.

Kel on the trail June 20th:
IMG_2544.JPG
Same place on the 4th - a much happier Kelly!
IMG_2785.JPG
It was tad bit too warm for Kel and she dunked her T-shirt in Cedar Creek when we crossed and had some nice air conditioning for the next hour or so as her shirt dried out. I should try that trick next time out.

Once on the PCT we met the only person we saw on the entire hike, taking a break. A woman who told us she was just starting out to do a WA state through hike. We chatted for a while and left her with wishes that she makes it and has a great time.

We continued on to the junction of the Grassy Knoll Tr. enjoying a nice breeze and a temperature of about 70. This section was a nice surprise. Interesting terrain, a beautiful mature forest, and neat rock outcrops here and there. The trail is in excellent shape with no trees down at all.
IMG_2788.JPG
IMG_2793.JPG
We found Cold Springs Camp and headed down the Alway Trail, noting the custom signs along the way. We picked up all the branches on the route but 8 trees still lie across the trail Nothing one can’t easily step over though and all from about 6” to no more than 12” diameter.

This was in the middle of the trail. The largest is about the size of a quarter. Indian pipe?
IMG_2804.JPG
We were very glad to get back to the car and not have to do that road walk!

On the way out, between Alway and Cedar a mama bear and three little cubs ran across the road less that 50 feet in front of us. The mama dove into the brush but the cubs went straight up the nearest tree: Here's all three of them looking down at me:
IMG_2810.JPG
So as not to disturb them any more than we already had, we left at once. Another surprise greeted us about ten seconds later when a much bigger bear, likely papa, ran across the road. That's our all-time record - 5 bears in one day. (Previous record was 3 on the 41 road about ten years ago.)

Another great day in the woods:

5.9 miles and 1960 EG. (The hike would be only 5.13 miles and about 1320' EG without the little side trips we did.)

Hike # 60
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Aimless

Re: Cedar Cr., Alway Tr. and bears, oh my!

Post by Aimless » July 6th, 2021, 4:32 pm

Another great day in the woods

Sure looks like it. Wow! Five bears in quick succession! :)

This was in the middle of the trail. The largest is about the size of a quarter. Indian pipe?

Looks like one for "Let's See Some ID". Our resident experts should clear it up for us in no time.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 6th, 2021, 6:11 pm

Awww, bear cubs are so adorable! Best viewed from a car. Good thing you weren't on bikes; I hear the bears up there don't care much for bikes (inside joke, with nothing but the friendliest intentions).

Thanks for your work on Cedar Creek Trail. After scratching my head over that misplaced sign a few months ago, and wondering where the heck the trail was, it was satisfying to see the trail rehabilitated.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 6th, 2021, 7:39 pm

Chip Down wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 6:11 pm
Awww, bear cubs are so adorable! Best viewed from a car. Good thing you weren't on bikes; I hear the bears up there don't care much for bikes (inside joke, with nothing but the friendliest intentions).

Thanks for your work on Cedar Creek Trail. After scratching my head over that misplaced sign a few months ago, and wondering where the heck the trail was, it was satisfying to see the trail rehabilitated.
Chip, thanks for the comments and compliment. Also, thanks for your documentation of where the Alway trail hits road 68.

I may go out tomorrow and do the Grassy Ridge trail, descend the Alway trail and ride back to the Grassy Knoll TH. That's one, somehow, I've never managed to do. The plan is to take my bike, stash it near the Cedar Cr. TH and ride it back to the Grassy Knoll TH.

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 6th, 2021, 7:57 pm

I'm half tempted to find your bike and replace it with a ladies' beach cruiser. :lol:

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 6th, 2021, 8:21 pm

Chip Down wrote:
July 6th, 2021, 7:57 pm
I'm half tempted to find your bike and replace it with a ladies' beach cruiser. :lol:
Well, a ladies' beach cruiser would likely be worth lots more than my pitiful 1990 vintage bike! Kelly would probably like it. So, I'll take you up on your offer! ;)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 7th, 2021, 5:14 am

Wow! 5 bears. And cute picture

I would have been worried the mother bear would have defended her cubs more

I have heard stories that that's the most dangerous situation, mother defending cubs, and also heard that that actually isn't so dangerous.

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 7th, 2021, 5:43 am

retired jerry wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 5:14 am

I have heard stories that that's the most dangerous situation, mother defending cubs
That's grizzlies. Black bears climb. Mama black bears expect the cubs to defend themselves by climbing a tree, as these did.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 7th, 2021, 7:12 am

Thanks for the work on Cedar Creek, Don! Memorable bear encounters, too!

Your mystery parasite is the little gnome plant, found here and there but about as frequently seen as a bear.

Edit: Just saw Adam’s ID in that thread and concur.

P.S. Why is it called the Alway Trail?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » July 8th, 2021, 7:38 am

retired jerry wrote:
July 7th, 2021, 5:14 am
Wow! 5 bears. And cute picture

I have heard stories that that's the most dangerous situation, mother defending cubs, and also heard that that actually isn't so dangerous.
Hi Jerry, thanks for the comments. I was tempted to get out of the car and get a better picture but decided it wasn't worth the risk if that mama bear decided her cubs needed protecting. We were amazed at how fast those little guys scaled that tree.