Tom Dick & Harry June 4, 2021

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
squidvicious

Tom Dick & Harry June 4, 2021

Post by squidvicious » June 4th, 2021, 12:25 pm

Arrived at the TH at 8:30 to quite a few cars already in the lot.

The trail to Mirror Lake is in very good condition, with just a couple of step-overs. I didn't go around the lake, but I gather the plank section at the tip of the lake by the prime viewing spot is semi-submerged. I heard splashing and yelling each time I went by.

Between the lake and the rock pile is mostly good and bare, except for a few spots with a slide of snow and tree(s) / debris across the trail. You're just walking along on bare trail and suddenly there's feet of snow in front of you. Some were messy, but they were just isolated spots and quick to get over or around.

It gets messier as you go. There's still some stretches of snow, mostly where it's protected by debris, but the snow isn't an issue at all. There is an impressive amount of debris in the top section. In places you can't see where the trail goes, between the debris and the snow. It's never that hard to pick it up again, but at the same time it would be very easy to lose it if you aren't careful. Definitely not tourist-friendly at this point.

I ultimately had the top to myself, barring a single ground squirrel, and a lovely clear cool day with great views, so all in all well worth any trouble. Passed a million and one people pouring in on my way back to the car, though.

naturallog

Re: Tom Dick & Harry June 4, 2021

Post by naturallog » June 4th, 2021, 3:16 pm

Thanks for the update. I have family visiting during the last weekend of this month and I'm thinking about TDH as the token hike for the visit. I was also planning on going on a Friday, so I guess we'll be part of the horde either way.

gallione11

Re: Tom Dick & Harry June 4, 2021

Post by gallione11 » June 7th, 2021, 3:12 pm

I must have passed you on the way up. We started at around 8:50am Friday on our way to Cove Palisades for the weekend. I'd make a guess you were the one we passed right before all the debris near the top.

Plank section is indeed submerged. We had to make the trip back to the car with very wet feet.