Mount Margaret Loop?

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
flywell

Re: Mount Margaret Loop?

Post by flywell » May 4th, 2021, 9:54 am

EmilyK wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:49 pm
For what it’s worth, here are some photos from last August/Sept 2020 of the washout area I think you are referring to... I went solo in August and was able to get across. Went again in September with my partner and it was definitely a little worse, so glad I had the extra hand ha. Can’t imagine it’s not going to be even worse after winter unless it’s been repaired!
I hiked it Aug 9/2020, and the washout was sketchy but doable. But - the soil consistency told me it would be deteriorating even more through the winter and spring rains this year. Your third photo shows a substantial change for the worse. I attached my shot from last August for comparison. I sure hope either the Monument or Forest Service fixes or re-routes that portion of trail.
IMG_1420.JPG

drm

Post by drm » May 4th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Since this section is really kind of a short-cut over the ridge and not a part of the main loop, I doubt putting in a reroute is going to be a high priority for the Monument, though you could call and ask if it's on their list. If you are a WTA member, you could ask the WTA to advocate for it. Because they have the resources to do a lot of the reroute work, their advocacy can really make the difference.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » May 4th, 2021, 6:12 pm

That segment - if it's the one I've seen in photos here - is on the main loop trail per the Green Trails map on the "Lakes" version of the hike. As I recall (though I don't have the map immediately handy) it's labeled. I also asked a ranger about it a couple of weeks ago and I was told it had not been repaired and there were no plans to do so. The route is sketched out here:
https://www.gaiagps.com/hike/254536/mou ... trail-211/

EmilyK

Post by EmilyK » May 8th, 2021, 9:30 pm

flywell wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 9:54 am
EmilyK wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:49 pm
For what it’s worth, here are some photos from last August/Sept 2020 of the washout area I think you are referring to... I went solo in August and was able to get across. Went again in September with my partner and it was definitely a little worse, so glad I had the extra hand ha. Can’t imagine it’s not going to be even worse after winter unless it’s been repaired!
I hiked it Aug 9/2020, and the washout was sketchy but doable. But - the soil consistency told me it would be deteriorating even more through the winter and spring rains this year. Your third photo shows a substantial change for the worse. I attached my shot from last August for comparison. I sure hope either the Monument or Forest Service fixes or re-routes that portion of trail.IMG_1420.JPG
Oh just missed you, my first photo was from August 10 haha.. and my other two were from September 10th. I actually have permits to camp for August of this year as well so I hope so as well. :? I wonder if it goes unaddressed a boot path may appear down the hill and back up just on the other side. It seemed steep but doable, and better than a tumble down that crumbly mess with a big backpack.

drm

Post by drm » May 9th, 2021, 8:05 am

Keith - I consider the normal loop to be the Boundary and Lakes trail, which connect farther east near Norway Pass, the eastern end of the Lakes Trail.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » May 11th, 2021, 1:13 pm

DRM,
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep it in mind for next year. I wasn't lucky enough to secure camping permits for this season...too late.

Keith

HeadWest

Post by HeadWest » June 14th, 2021, 8:40 pm

drm wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 8:05 am
Keith - I consider the normal loop to be the Boundary and Lakes trail, which connect farther east near Norway Pass, the eastern end of the Lakes Trail.
If we are doing Norway Pass -> Ridge Camp -> Snow Camp -> Norway Pass, would we avoid this washout? Thanks.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » June 15th, 2021, 12:24 pm

I don't have the Green Trails map of the area handy, but the washout referenced in this discussion is on the Coldwater Creek Trail, on the north side of the lake and before Snow Camp. There's a route traced on a Gaia topo map in one of the comments (maybe mine).

In any event, check your water status before you head onto the trails south of the lake. Sources are uncertain there and the ongoing drought has probably dried up a few of them already.

drm

Post by drm » June 15th, 2021, 2:29 pm

The route in that gaiagps link does not do the full Lakes Trail from Norway Pass. It crosses over the ridge west of that. That's the difficult trail section I was referring to, it's not on the Lakes Trail. Unless there is a different washout. The loop I'm talking about connects on the eastern end at the main Boundary Trail/Lakes Trail junction, which is near the Norway Pass TH.

BaileyBoy

Post by BaileyBoy » June 16th, 2021, 10:09 am

My friend and I did this area on 7.22.20 and had some real concerns about this crossing. We paused for quite a while, working up the courage (or ignorance) to walk that eroded area. Since we're not spring puppies (we're old geezers) we thing ignorance worked best for us. Note that even my dog Buddy had to evaluate the crossing for a bit.
B5A50CF1-4E91-4795-AE7A-6590A5A0E5B5.jpg
IMG_4746.jpeg
IMG_0108 (2).jpg