Grassy Knoll via old PCT and south ridge

Discussions and Trip Reports for off-trail adventures and rediscovering lost trails
Chip Down

Grassy Knoll via old PCT and south ridge

Post by Chip Down » April 16th, 2021, 7:27 pm

I've seen the south side of Grassy Knoll on a few recent hikes. I decided to take a stab at it today.

Route:
Start up the standard drive from Carson: Bear Creek Rd/6808, through the gate at 750'-ish, which is now open (yay!), but then park a mile up the road (1100'-ish) where rockfall hasn't been cleared yet (boo). Continue on foot or bike (I came prepared with bike) to Triangle Pass. Follow old PCT to Grassy Knoll Trailhead. Follow road 68 NW and look for a good place to launch a bushwhack to the south ridge of Grassy Knoll.

This hike met my expectations. Recommended.

When I returned to the Grassy Knoll TH, there was a vehicle parked, so the Rd 68 approach must be open. Watch for logging though.

Columbia Kittentail outnumbered other flowers 10:1.
Attachments
1.jpg
From Triangle Pass, the old PCT is cleverly disguised as a jeep track.
2.jpg
Working my way up my ridge.
3.jpg
google this: "buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo"
4.jpg
A fun little spur from my ridge.
5.jpg
Best part of the descent.

bobcat

Re: Grassy Knoll via old PCT and south ridge

Post by bobcat » April 17th, 2021, 8:51 am

Beautiful! A legendary poster here (beag) told me at one of the old Portland Hiker events that he had something to do with brushing out the old PCT between Augspurger and the Grassy Knoll TH.

beag

Post by beag » April 26th, 2021, 5:55 pm

On your bike ride just a short distance from Triangle Pass on a gentle curve, the North end of the CC trail comes out to road maybe 100, 150 paces from TP junction. Trail should be easy to find and was in good shape and easy to follow. Maybe a mile in there are trails going east and west. Should be fun to explore. We spent 3 years lopping CCT trail to Aug. Should be in fairly good shape. We did not find 100% of CCT but we did complete a trail from N Aug to TP using maybe 80% of old trail. There are still CCT markers on a few trees. Not great views but yet we had a great time up there. Those days are over for me but I love to read all the exploration trips ye guys do.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 27th, 2021, 5:05 am

not too much snow

summer is coming

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 27th, 2021, 8:18 pm

beag wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 5:55 pm
On your bike ride just a short distance from Triangle Pass on a gentle curve, the North end of the CC trail comes out to road maybe 100, 150 paces from TP junction.
Oh, cool. I was wondering if there was a remnant of CC or PCT or something going the other direction from tri pass. Maybe I'll go check that out, as I'm waiting for other routes to melt a bit more.
retired jerry wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 5:05 am
not too much snow

summer is coming
Well, yes. Interesting to ponder that summer 2021 has been coming for billions of years. Kinda makes you feel special to be here just in time to see it, eh?

reverbhiker

Post by reverbhiker » May 1st, 2021, 8:36 pm

My wife and I had plans to hike the PCT last year, then again this year and cancelled both times due to the pandemic. However, we're half-vaxed and will be fully vaxed next month, and we're giving serious thought to doing just the Washington PCT (I know, "just"!). However, I want to add a twist to it by doing the old Cascade Crest Trail instead, which I know is really just 85% of the current PCT. I picked up a CCT guidebook from the early 60's which details the route and has general maps (not super detailed, unfortunately). There are just a few primary deviations which are easy enough to do/figure out - one is going to Monument 83 at the US/Canada border instead of Monument 78, and it would also involve road walking from Rainy Pass to the Canyon Creek Trail in the North Cascades (which really seems ridiculous as it's 16 miles of walking on the N. Cascades Hwy instead of the amazing Cuthroat Pass area), and there are a few other minor deviations here and there. However the main area I'm having trouble figuring out is the Dog Mountain trailhead to the Grassy Knoll trailhead section. Between the book I have and the Oregon hikers forums, it looks like you start on the current Dog Mountain trail, then work your way towards Augsburger Mtn. From there though it seems like a maze of logging roads, and powerline roads (which it seems like it actually was back in the 60's as well).So it's really just the north end of the Augsburger trail to Triangle Pass, crossing the Little Wind River that I'm having trouble with - I don't see any trails, or roads. Is it "bushwackable" or would you find roads to work your way around the river to the east? We would probably be trying to do this in August and early September.

Using Gaia I can see that the Augsburger trail goes north to what’s labeled as a Borrow Pit, just east of Larson Lakes. I’m just wondering what is the best way to get from there to Triangle Pass. Is there a trail? If someone has any info or a track they can share please post it here, via message or email to [email protected]

BTW we’re not super particular that we do 100% of the old CCT - we realize that’s impossible now, but we’d be happy to do at least 90-95% of it.

Thanks! Sean
Attachments
A88F5BAF-2175-4A0F-A347-AD184F3C3196.jpeg

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » May 2nd, 2021, 4:22 am

reverbhiker, that sounds awesome. I'm not going to be of any help with information; but I just wanted to share that I have had similar thoughts recently. It would be great to document the path in Gaia (open street maps).

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 2nd, 2021, 7:55 am

Hi Sean,
I'm tempted to tell you you're crazy, but you probably already know that. And anyway, it would be a pot/kettle situation. :lol:

Your intended route is the mint-colored solid line, right?

I gather you know the old CCT runs west of the Aug trail, so you'll need to depart the new scenic trail at some point and follow a utility road west to hook up with the road that runs along the CCT alignment. I think there's a point further south where you could meet the old CCT, but there are access issues on the easy/obvious route, and I haven't yet explored all the alternates to see what would pan out.

I agree that the LWR crossing will be the crux in this area. You could follow powerlines west and hook up with a fun abandoned road that takes you towards Triangle, but it's quite a diversion, and the river crossing still might get tricky. The powerline road doesn't cross the river, which usually is a clue that it won't be easy.

Your intended route in the Triangle area strikes me as odd, as you're showing road walking instead of following the old PCT alignment. Going way over to Goat Point seems to be way off the CCT alignment, but I can't be sure. Hmm.

cfm

Post by cfm » May 2nd, 2021, 3:35 pm

Beag says there is CCT trail from Aug to Triangle Pass:
We did not find 100% of CCT but we did complete a trail from N Aug to TP using maybe 80% of old trail. There are still CCT markers on a few trees.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 2nd, 2021, 4:26 pm

cfm wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 3:35 pm
Beag says there is CCT trail from Aug to Triangle Pass:
We did not find 100% of CCT but we did complete a trail from N Aug to TP using maybe 80% of old trail. There are still CCT markers on a few trees.
I helped with that trail resurrection with beag et al and I have a GPS track. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller