Best trail car/truck

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
drm

Re: Best trail car/truck

Post by drm » April 25th, 2021, 6:43 am

Chip Down wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 2:32 pm
I don't understand why the boxer configuration is susceptible to head gasket failure.
So what I read is that the Boxer alignment results in part of the gasket being on the bottom of the engine, so there is always oil sitting on it, gravity pulling it down, and eventually a little bit is bound to seep through.
Chip Down wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 2:32 pm
Speaking of leaks, I had a oil leak on my Outback that didn't result in much oil loss, but the oil that did seep out went right onto the exhaust, thus creating significant smoke. Mechanically, not a big deal...but had to be fixed.
I think this kind of experience is more typical than blowing out your head gasket.

The thing about switching to another vehicle type to avoid this is that while there are many alternatives to the Forester or Outback that are almost as good offroad, I was thinking of downsizing to a Crosstrek, and it has far less competition, and that which is there is a lot less capable. Subarus keep getting bigger, the current Forester is a LOT bigger than they were 20 years ago and bigger than they were five years ago. And I don't need a bigger car.

Also, regarding getting by with 2WD, for most cases, this just requires going for it and maybe getting a few more scratches. It might mean you need to get some momentum. I once saw a road test where a magazine tried to take a 2WD truck on a 4WD course. They made it, but with a lot more dents and scrapes. Of course in other cases, it means going slower.

Charley

Post by Charley » April 26th, 2021, 10:01 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 6:10 pm

IMG_7915.JPG
NICELY DONE!!!! You're a hero in so many ways.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Charley

Post by Charley » April 26th, 2021, 10:10 pm

texasbb wrote:
April 24th, 2021, 12:59 pm
Charley wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 10:06 pm
Honestly, I like what I heard about AWD/4WD from a dirt-biking friend: "Only use your AWD to get out of trouble, never into trouble." I just make sure not to get into trouble.
That's either sour grapes or paranoia, IMHO. If you're that worried, you should disable one drive wheel on your 2WD vehicle until you need to get out of trouble. ;) And I agree with Webfoot that 4WD makes for safer driving in lots of "ordinary" situations. I use it a lot on washboarded gravel roads to minimize wheelspin on hills.

Edit: I'm referring to Charley's friend's advice, not Charley's reasonable caution, when I speak of paranoia!
I challenge you to a duel! :lol:

My AWD experience is in my ski buddy's Forester. That experience consists of me being amazed at the control the AWD maintains in deep snow.

My favorite driving saying is actually "Every car has four wheel brakes." I'm always saying that because of the people in AWD vehicles zooming around my chained-up 2WD Civic on snowy roads, as if somehow they're invincible, even though safety is largely a matter of being able to slow down (hence traction while braking). I mean, I'm driving slower because it's safer, not because my vehicle can't go any faster.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

drm

Post by drm » April 27th, 2021, 6:57 am

Charley wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 10:10 pm
safety is largely a matter of being able to slow down
It's also a matter of not losing traction and spinning out. I don't think Subarus stop in shorter distance than other cars. The counter-intuitive thing is that in some cases when losing traction, it is better to accelerate a little bit, so the AWD can get traction back. Once you hit the brakes on a slippery road, you lose any advantage of AWD and it may be too late to avoid that ditch.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » April 27th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Webfoot wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:15 pm
teachpdx wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 2:35 pm
We're equipping it with a roof rack/box and beefier tires with taller sidewalls prior to next summer's 6000 mile journey to the Arctic Ocean in Canada (that's nearly 1000 miles of gravel road, total). I wouldn't have the confidence to make such an ambitious journey in the GTI if I hadn't spent the last 4 years taking it right to the limit on the forest roads of the PNW.
You're doing the ALCAN? Alone or part of a convoy?
We are doing the Dempster Highway in Canada. It can actually get you to the shores of the Arctic instead of ending at fenced-off oil fields at the end of the Dalton in Alaska. The plan is for next August, and we will be doing it alone. With a full size spare, and a donut, and a tire patch kit, and a 12V compressor. And lots of really cool hiking opportunities along the way.

Google Street View has the entire highway circa 2011. A pair of small Chevrolet sedans made it up and back taking pictures. And it gives a really good idea of the general shape of the road. The most challenging parts of the road look to be the ferry landings.
instagram: @remyodyssey

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 27th, 2021, 1:47 pm

teachpdx wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 1:32 pm
We are doing the Dempster Highway in Canada. It can actually get you to the shores of the Arctic instead of ending at fenced-off oil fields at the end of the Dalton in Alaska.
That sounds great. When you return please remember to post a trip report here even if it is not about Oregon. I don't want to miss it.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » April 28th, 2021, 12:42 pm

Webfoot wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 1:47 pm
teachpdx wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 1:32 pm
We are doing the Dempster Highway in Canada. It can actually get you to the shores of the Arctic instead of ending at fenced-off oil fields at the end of the Dalton in Alaska.
That sounds great. When you return please remember to post a trip report here even if it is not about Oregon. I don't want to miss it.
100% the same here. I found a blog about a Dempster Highway road trip years ago and have been really interested ever since. It sounds like quite an experience and I'm very curious to learn about your trip. Good luck!

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » May 9th, 2021, 11:44 am

For the sake of closure, I now have a 2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4 with a solid 142,000 miles. Thanks to everyone for the input in this thread. It was genuinely helpful when deciding what to buy.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 9th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Don't forget good tires. What size of wheels do you have?

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » May 10th, 2021, 8:20 pm

Webfoot wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 5:28 pm
Don't forget good tires. What size of wheels do you have?
Honestly, I don't know. Big ones? Seemingly whatever is stock on this "sport" model of 2006 Liberty. But it has fairly new high-end all terrain tires (installed 6 months ago) and a functional spare tire on the back. It drives nicely so far, and should get its first big test in the next week or two.