Hamilton Mtn 23-Nov-09

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Hamilton Mtn 23-Nov-09

Post by VanMarmot » November 24th, 2009, 8:42 am

Because rain was forecast for Monday afternoon, there was time for a short hike in the morning and so I chose Hamilton Mountain. Judging from all the breathless weather reports about snow levels, I figured there might be snow higher on Hamilton and geared up for it with heavier boots and a snow basket for the hiking pole. The upper parking lot is closed for the winter and for repairs on the restroom, so the hike started out under overcast skies at the Beacon Rock parking area.

Rodney Falls was in full fury, with spray billowing out of the Pool of the Winds.

Despite the snow reports, the trail was in excellent condition and completely free of snow the whole way. Last February, there was 3-4’ or more snow at the summit and along the summit ridge. This time, nothing. So much for the heavier boots and snow basket.

In the hour and a half it took me to reach the summit, the overcast evaporated, the sky become clear blue, and there was even some sun. Breezy conditions had been forecast but there was no wind to speak on. There was the usual good view across to Table Mountain (and Adams just to the right), where it looked like there might be real snow above 2500’ or so.

The entire hike back was along trails dappled with actual sunshine, which was an unexpectedly pleasant experience for the Pacific Northwest in late November.

Last edited by VanMarmot on December 7th, 2009, 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

weathercrazy

Re: Hamilton Mtn 23-Nov-09

Post by weathercrazy » November 24th, 2009, 10:10 am

Nice pics...

"unexpectedly pleasant experience for Oregon in late November."---actually Hamilton Mountain is in Washington :)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » November 24th, 2009, 11:31 am

weathercrazy wrote:Nice pics...

"unexpectedly pleasant experience for Oregon in late November."---actually Hamilton Mountain is in Washington :)
Thanks & so true about Hamilton, but I was looking at Oregon when I thought this. Still, I edited the posting to the less provincial "Pacific Northwest."

SonOfTamarack

Post by SonOfTamarack » December 3rd, 2009, 4:44 pm

My wife and I just did a quick hike up the falls on 12/2/09 and the trail is snow- and ice-free. We were going to do Beacon Rock but that trail is closed weekdays all winter for maintenance.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 3rd, 2009, 6:30 pm

Well... we Oregonians DO consider Washington to be the illegitimate offspring that was somehow left out when we went from territory to statehood... fixed later as something of an edit, with the default of "hell, let's just name it after George Washington"....

:D

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » December 4th, 2009, 12:14 pm

We won't mention how we feel about Oregonians (at least not in a family forum)! :D

The original bill that led to the state of Washington contained the name Columbia for the new state. Somewhere along the way, someone back in that "other" Washington decided to name the state after George.

Thus creating the T-shirts that read Vancouver (Not BC), Washington (Not DC)

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » December 6th, 2009, 8:51 am

I was returning from a business trip to Washington (DC) yesterday on the Seattle (Washington) to Portland (Oregon) shuttle. These shuttles share common gates and our plane was parked next to one going to Vancouver (BC). Someone in line mentioned they were going home to Vancouver (meaning Washington, via PDX) which others mis-took as Vancouver (BC). So 4 Canadians ended-up on the Portland-bound plane. After some good natured jokes and shuffling about seat assignments, geography, and passports, things got all sorted-out. I assume no Oregonians inadvertently reached Canada.

Next time I post a trip report I'm going to be extra careful to get the geography correct the first time. :oops: