Northern MSH (Vanson Peak/Goat Mt Ridge): Snow-free mid/late June?

Trip recommendations, current conditions, and other trail related Q&A
Walkin' Fool

Northern MSH (Vanson Peak/Goat Mt Ridge): Snow-free mid/late June?

Post by Walkin' Fool » April 10th, 2021, 11:41 am

Hello! Obviously it's different every year, but does anyone know if the northern MSH area, specifically Ryan Lake to Vanson Peak over the Goat Mt ridge is often/sometimes/never snow-free the middle to end of June? Thanks!

leiavoia

Re: Northern MSH (Vanson Peak/Goat Mt Ridge): Snow-free mid/late June?

Post by leiavoia » April 10th, 2021, 1:49 pm

I’ve been up there on the 4th of July with no snow and flowers were already on the decline. I would say go for it.

cfm

Post by cfm » April 11th, 2021, 12:02 pm

The tricky part will be getting to the Ryan Lake trailhead. You have to go via FS 25 and 99 to 26 past Norway Pass. Sometimes that doesn't open until July.

I think you could approach earlier in the season (and a shorter drive) using the Goat Creek Trail to Vanson Peak. It starts south of Riffe Lake near Tadnapum Park off Highway 12. It's a wonderful trail with lots of little waterfalls + big Cathedral Falls. Here is my trip report from 2008, sorry the pictures have disappeared.

Walkin' Fool

Post by Walkin' Fool » April 12th, 2021, 10:36 am

Thanks for the info, and good reminder on the road closure. I was thinking it was usually open by mid-June, but especially with this year's snow pack, it certainly might be a bit later!

Thanks again!