opening day: Bells Mountain and baseball [day 2 added 4/5]

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

opening day: Bells Mountain and baseball [day 2 added 4/5]

Post by Chip Down » April 1st, 2021, 6:02 pm

First!

Bells Mountain trail opened today, after some view-enhancement activities (trees cut down to improve the scenery). Also, opening day for MLB.

I started as it was just getting light enough that I didn't need a headlamp. I had heard the bottom of Bells is steep, but yikes, I wasn't expecting that. It was a grind.
The trail undulates a lot, so it's good for people who don't like a hike that's uphill half the day, and then downhill for half the day.

From various sources (maps, signs, reports) I expected Bells Mtn Trail to meet Tarbell Trail, and/or share designation to the Yacolt Burn TH. But nope, google is correct, Bells and Tarbell are distinct.

I wish I'd seen this trail pre-harvest, for comparison. Not a big deal though.

There are lots of logging roads up there, some new and some mossy. I'll probably go back and poke around a bit.

Saw more snakes today than I normally would in a month.
Attachments
1.jpg
What?! Closed M-F?! So I could have done this any weekend in the last couple months.
2.jpg
I nearly wet myself when I saw the danger tape, but then realized it was because of the logging activity.
3.jpg
The new improved Bells Mtn Trail.
4.jpg
That puddle is due to a little spring. There were a few in the new clearcut.
5.jpg
Freshest chainsaw graffiti I've seen.
6.jpg
They left a few standing (in a previous clearcut).
7.jpg
Strike two! (I don't even know what that means, it's just what came to mind when I noticed two out of three were open).
Last edited by Chip Down on April 5th, 2021, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chip Down

Re: opening day: Bells Mountain and baseball

Post by Chip Down » April 5th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Chip Down wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 6:02 pm
There are lots of logging roads up there, some new and some mossy. I'll probably go back and poke around a bit.
Returned today and explored a labyrinth of trails and roads not on google maps. Generally fun, but some routes were a waste of time.

Surprised to run into a microwave tower on a road that isn't even mapped by google. [Oh, is that Bells Mountain summit? It's the highest point in vicinity of Bells Mountain Trail.]

Chilly and breezy all day; I was slightly underdressed.
Attachments
20210405_164903.jpg
I think that says "silver". Pretty sloppy.
20210405_140145.jpg
20210405_115312.jpg
I almost missed this. From most angles, kinda blends in with all the other debris.
20210405_075345.jpg
Unexpected.

bobcat

Re: opening day: Bells Mountain and baseball [day 2 added 4/5]

Post by bobcat » April 11th, 2021, 7:49 am

Chip Down wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 6:02 pm
I expected Bells Mtn Trail to meet Tarbell Trail, and/or share designation to the Yacolt Burn TH.
The Bells Trail meets the Tarbell right at Yacolt Burn TH (actually a few yards south of it).
Chip Down wrote:
April 5th, 2021, 7:53 pm
Returned today and explored a labyrinth of trails and roads not on google maps.
I was mucking about there on April 1st (day of your first trip) trying to follow a trail loop to Moulton Falls without having to go out and back on the railroad grade. They were biker trails through plantations and secondary forest, no clearcuts. Started at Hantwick Road and joined the Bells Mt. Trail about 0.6 miles from its northern TH.