Hking to Ice Lake in the Wallowa

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
lois

Hking to Ice Lake in the Wallowa

Post by lois » February 3rd, 2021, 8:44 pm

I briefly saw an ad on facebook about a company that carries your gear on their llamas. The cost to ice lake was $800. I know there are a lot of us who can hike but have trouble carrying a pack too. The ad suggested getting a group of people together to cut down the cost. I can't find the ad I saw just 2 days ago, But I would love to go but it's too hard now with an overnight pack. If anyone else is interested in going when the snow melts, I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks,
Lois
[email protected]

johnspeth

Re: Hking to Ice Lake in the Wallowa

Post by johnspeth » February 4th, 2021, 7:46 am

That's a lot of bux! Does it include the return carry? I wonder if you can find a fit and reliable teenager that will carry your pack for much less.

drm

Post by drm » February 4th, 2021, 7:58 am

When you split it among a few people and consider what people pay for airfare, fancy resorts, car rentals, on their annual vacation, it isn't that much. Of course it doesn't work for those who backpack regularly.

Another thing to consider is backcountry cabins. There is a cabin at Aneroid Lake, which is about the same distance in as Ice Lake. It's a private facility, but I think they rent to the public sometimes. I don't know if you need a group to fill the cabin or not, but there must be others in the Cascades.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 4th, 2021, 8:17 am

I don't know if this is the place that was in the ad, but we have rented from Wallowa Llamas before. They are based out of Halfway, which is on the south side, whereas Ice Lake is on the north side, so I don't know if there would be an extra charge for all that driving.

In 2013 we rented two llamas from them for a three-day two-night trip to Cached Lake. They taught us all about the llamas ahead of time, how to handle them, how to pack their saddles, etc. Raz dropped us off at the trailhead and picked us up three days later. It was pretty fun and it was great to go into the backcountry for an overnighter with nothing but a day pack on our backs! You can read about our experience here: http://cherylhill.net/blog/2013/08/30/l ... ched-lake/