Public Lands Getting HAMMERED by Crowds

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
AlpenGlowHiker

Re: Public Lands Getting HAMMERED by Crowds

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » February 3rd, 2021, 8:50 am

As a life long member of the Portland region, I can empathize with everyone who laments the increased crowds. It's hard, because you know and a love a reality, but that reality is changing quite drastically before your eyes, before you can come to terms with it.

As a kid our parents would take us up to Troutlake and Mt Adams; that was "our" area and we found a special camp site that we thought was very well hidden and it was always empty when we go there. Turns out, it was only 8 miles outside of Troutlake and off a spur road. So, not really that hidden, and not that far off the beaten path. Today, it is home to summer-time squatters (as of 2 years ago anyway), and has completely changed from what I remember it as a kid.

I am forever in search of the path least traveled, note I said least because you're bound to run into at least one person. The key is to go for the lesser photogenic or something very strenuous with little reward. I would rather see more tree's, creeks, ponds and less people than epic views and a shit-ton (literal and figurative) of people.

The rather unfortunate side-effect of massive people will be the inevitable permitting process. Something that I know is necessary but I absolutely loathe it, as it restricts my own ability to go there. However, there are always other places to go.

xrp

Post by xrp » February 3rd, 2021, 9:55 am

This is what happens when nearly every type of recreation has been shuttered by the governor or is undesirable now.

Most indoor things families would do are not open or are open at greatly reduced capacity because of Kate Brown. Things like indoor pools, indoor sports, etc...are any of those going on anywhere?

Kids also aren't in school. Many parents are working from home and there's nowhere else for them to go, either.

Human beings like changes of scenery.

Guess what, only the outdoors is open. Everyone will go there!

And as far as undesirable recreation, well, go to many of the city parks these days and they've turned into hobo camps.

Oregon is getting what it voted for and it is getting it hard! I hope it hurts!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 3rd, 2021, 9:56 am

maybe it's more subtle

if more people use the wilderness it's less likely that a business interest would be able to push through developements on wild area

bobcat

Post by bobcat » February 3rd, 2021, 2:14 pm

Bosterson wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 5:22 pm
the rainbow of golden funding from Congress does not seem likely any time soon.
Conceded. But life would be pretty grim if we gave up all hope!

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » February 3rd, 2021, 4:26 pm

xrp wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 9:55 am
And as far as undesirable recreation, well, go to many of the city parks these days and they've turned into hobo camps.
That's got to be a factor driving people farther out.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 3rd, 2021, 4:34 pm

does it seem like there are many more homeless people now? I think so.

maybe because of covid, many people lost their jobs and have no other alternative

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 3rd, 2021, 5:11 pm

xrp wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 9:55 am
Most indoor things families would do are not open or are open at greatly reduced capacity because of Kate Brown.
In the U.S., Oregon has the 4th-lowest number of COVID-19 deaths (and 5th-lowest number of cases) per capita. Are you going to give Kate Brown any credit for that, or just blame her for the things you don't like?

Aimless

Post by Aimless » February 3rd, 2021, 6:00 pm

A reminder to all that if politics are going to enter into these discussions, first and foremost what you post must be civil and respectful and should have some obvious bearing on hiking -- unless it is in the Off-Topic forum. The requirement for civility and respect extends further than just to other members of OregonHikers, but extend to discussing our fellow humans in general, including politicians and homeless people. If things go any further sideways this thread will be locked. There are sufficient places on the internet to air political opinions of every stripe.

jessbee

Post by jessbee » February 3rd, 2021, 9:06 pm

Aimless wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 6:00 pm
A reminder to all that if politics are going to enter into these discussions, first and foremost what you post must be civil and respectful and should have some obvious bearing on hiking -- unless it is in the Off-Topic forum. The requirement for civility and respect extends further than just to other members of OregonHikers, but extend to discussing our fellow humans in general, including politicians and homeless people. If things go any further sideways this thread will be locked. There are sufficient places on the internet to air political opinions of every stripe.
Thank you for this. I would hope that as a community we could agree to speaking of all people respectfully, whether they agree with us, or look like us, or enjoy the same things as us, or not. That is the first step in finding a solution to sons of the concerns brought up by the OP.

As for more government funding and support of parks with more usage, it's important to remember that we have to *ask for * and *advocate for* this to happen. Yes, it's boring and time consuming and it takes away from your outdoor adventure time, but it's the only way things get done. Not by magic and without any legwork.

We need to pressure our representatives to support more funding for parks. We need to support non profits who do that legwork for us and lobby for change. Instead of moaning and groaning on internet message boards we have to take that energy and put it where it matters.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » February 3rd, 2021, 9:57 pm

One big factor driving the concentrated crowds right now is all the areas that are closed from the fires.
SWriverstone wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 3:34 pm
And sure, I get that national forests are "lands of many uses." That said, I don't think national forests should be treated like a city's downtown or the parking lot outside a football stadium. You're correct of course that all kinds of obnoxious activities are technically legal, but in my mind that doesn't make them "okay."
Outside of people littering, permanently damaging or vandalizing areas, it's elitist to decide how others should use a public forest. Some of those Sturgis snowmobilers in their "big trucks" are probably just as bewildered at your choice of recreation as you are of theirs. It's just as valid to dance, camp, get drunk around a campfire talking loudly with friends, or snowmobile as it is to hike. Have you considered people camp outside of official campgrounds because they know they are going to be loud and don't want to disturb everyone else? It's just people trying to enjoy themselves :)

It's a big forest, find another area if it feels too busy. I value solitude in hiking so I purposefully choose places that aren't popular. For instance, the Salmon-Huckleberry is within an hour of Portland but sees very little traffic outside of the Salmon River trailhead itself. There are still plenty of areas to find solitude, even close in to the cities. I'm not that familiar with hiking around Eugene but I'd bet there are quiet spots around.