Wahkeena parking

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
squidvicious

Wahkeena parking

Post by squidvicious » December 24th, 2020, 1:58 pm

It looks like they're going to reopen the parking on the north side of the road at Wahkeena Falls. The barriers were gone today. It's possible that they just wanted the area clear to use for staging equipment while they're repairing the slide on the HCRH, but the barriers are completely gone, not just pushed aside. Looks pretty permanent.

I suspect when they did their calculations for how much parking to allow they mainly based it on how many socially distanced people the viewing area could safely accommodate. But people don't only park there for that, and even if they did they were completely ignoring the designated spaces and parking all over the road, in the pullouts and walking up in the middle of the road around the blind corner, just stopping in the road and waiting for someone to leave...

An additional 20 spaces or whatever that is should cut down on the crazy at least a little, I hope.

Double Tree

Re: Wahkeena parking

Post by Double Tree » December 26th, 2020, 7:02 pm

Thanks for posting this. Lately I've been getting there while still dark out, to get one of the few parking spots. Maybe it won't be so difficult now.
Kelly

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » December 27th, 2020, 7:08 am

Double Tree wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 7:02 pm
Lately I've been getting there while still dark out, to get one of the few parking spots.
Finding a spot was never the problem at the times I got there. It was trying to get out that was so crazy that I gave up parking there completely and just always go to the 84 lot. Where I can sit in my car and save my gps track, change my shoes, call home, or whatever I need to do without someone banging on my window, blaring their horn, or blocking traffic because there's three cars fighting over the spot that's about to open and they want me to leave now.

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » January 4th, 2021, 6:33 pm

Yep, I saw the same thing. Haven't been back lately but Wahkeena is my usual haunt so I'm glad things should be easier.
Kelly