Trail from Neahkahnie Mountain to Manzanita?

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
klossner

Trail from Neahkahnie Mountain to Manzanita?

Post by klossner » November 2nd, 2020, 11:51 am

Today's email from Trailkeepers of Oregon includes news that there is now a trail from the South Neahkahnie Mountain trailhead into the town of Manzanita. They don't provide a link or a trail map, and I can't find this mentioned anywhere else. I would love to walk out the door in Manzanita and up to the mountain without risking my life in Highway 101. Does anybody have details?

bobcat

Re: Trail from Neahkahnie Mountain to Manzanita?

Post by bobcat » November 3rd, 2020, 8:57 am

Yes, I did a few work parties on that trail before COVID. You'll still have to walk up Nehalem Road to 101. The trail (an extension of the OCT) begins opposite the junction of Nehalem Road and 101 and uses the power line corridor before working its way through a clearcut and then a dense brushy forest before hitting the gravel road just above the south trailhead for Neahkahnie Mountain.

TKO and the OCT are in the process of trying to redirect as many road sections of the OCT as possible, whenever private easements/public access will permit.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » November 3rd, 2020, 9:11 am

bobcat wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 8:57 am
The trail (an extension of the OCT) begins opposite the junction of Nehalem Road and 101 and uses the power line corridor before working its way through a clearcut and then a dense brushy forest before hitting the gravel road just above the south trailhead for Neahkahnie Mountain.
So, something like this?
Neahkahnie.jpg

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 3rd, 2020, 1:07 pm

Yes, that's the route approximately.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » November 5th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Back in early March we started at the Neahkahnie Mountain TH and hiked south on the new trail to grab a series of geocaches. We turned around after 1.5 miles and hiked back. Here is our route:
OCT_Neahkahnie.jpg