JUST MOVED TO PORTLAND

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
SpencerNguyen

JUST MOVED TO PORTLAND

Post by SpencerNguyen » October 27th, 2020, 10:01 am

Hey everyone me and my lady are yogis who love to catch the outdoors. We are from Texas so our experience for hiking is beginner and novice but we are excited to explore and get accustomed to new adventures and challenges!

AlpenGlowHiker

Re: JUST MOVED TO PORTLAND

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » October 27th, 2020, 10:46 am

Welcome! This site has an abundance of hikes and information; you needn't look elsewhere for quite some time!

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 27th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Hi! and welcome.

This is not exactly the best time of year for getting onto local trails if you are a beginner who is more familiar with Texas than with western Oregon or SW Washington, mainly because the finest trails are soon going to be under snow and difficult to access. Also, Oregon weather is a whole different beast than Texas weather. Not worse, just very different. Getting to know the local weather and how to dress for it is a big part of enjoying this place.

The advent of colder, wetter weather doesn't mean you can't start to get your feet wet (literally) by doing a bit of late autumn or winter hiking. Just start at lower elevations and maybe keep the mileage down around 5 or 6 for a while. Bring extra layers of clothes you can put on or take off easily. There is a lot of good hiking info, both here, on other sites, and in a fantastic variety of trail guide books. I have an entire shelf full of just hiking and camping guides that cover OR and WA!

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 28th, 2020, 5:45 pm

This page has a list of hikes in our Field Guide that are considered "all season":

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... ason_Hikes

Charley

Post by Charley » November 29th, 2020, 10:20 am

WELCOME!

To echo everyone else, lots of our best hiking trails are snow covered now, but if you really want to learn to love the winter, try out skiing or snowshoeing! My whole experience of our mountains' rather long snow-covered season shifted after I started getting up into the snow. Now I look forward to the winter. :)
IMG_2311.jpg
Skiing Crater Lake Rim Drive
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.