Adams: Stagman Ridge Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Adams: Stagman Ridge Loop

Post by Chip Down » October 23rd, 2020, 5:19 pm

No, I didn't accidentally post in the wrong forum; I did a trail hike today :D

Forecast called for snow starting late morning, so I was looking for something quick and easy. Stagman Ridge looked like fun.

It was a cold clear night of car camping after my previous day's hike. At 5am it was 26F under starry skies, so I optimistically wolfed down a big bowl of oatmeal and started up the trail.

The day got off to a weird start, maybe about an hour up the trail. I saw something illuminated up ahead. But no, that can't be. Has to be something reflecting my headlamp, right? Nope, turns out it was a flashlight. How do you drop an illuminated flashlight on the trail and walk away not realizing it? I think I was alone at the TH, but it's a loop road, so I can't be positive. But I think it must have been dropped Thursday, presumably by somebody heading down. I see it retails for less than $20, so maybe not worth returning, but I will if the owner wants to send me a PM.

Just a few minutes later, I reached the big meadow below the Graveyard junction. I wasn't expecting that. Good timing, as it was just getting light enough to see the mountain. It was mostly visible; maybe the top couple thousand feet were in the clouds.

The loop was pretty much as expected. Found a big meadow, which I realized had to be Horseshoe. There were no views of the mountain after that first meadow at dawn. Snow came sooner than expected, about 9am I think. Unfortunately, it was mostly graupel, but there were some flakes, which was fun, but just a tease. Eventually (lower) I got rain, but not bad, an intermittent light drizzle.

The loop clockwise from Lookgglass Lake to Graveyard was hard to follow at times, but not terrible.

On the way down, I took the spur ridge that drops from 5200'. Straight, open, beautiful, fun. When it started getting a little brushy, I dropped off crest and wandered off in search of the trail.

Felt weird to leave a TH at noon, but in a good way, like sneaking out of work early. I had a long hard hike the day before, so I didn't feel like I was cheating, especially given the weather.

Overall, this hike exceeded expectations. Recommended. You have to be okay with fire damage though. I endorse the FG advice to do the loop CCW, so you can deal with the difficult stretch early, when you still have time to recover and re-evaluate if it doesn't go well. You don't want the anxiety of searching for your trail at the end of the day.
Attachments
0.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
I was surprised Lookingglass Lake wasn't frozen over.
5.jpg
Horseshoe Meadow
6.jpg
7.jpg
On spur ridge.
8.jpg
Spur ridge, offtrail.
9.jpg
The horrible bushwhacking from spur ridge back to trail.

retired jerry

Re: Adams: Stagman Ridge Loop

Post by retired jerry » October 24th, 2020, 5:58 am

I've been reading all of your reports, and Don's, and others. Great area. Thanks

But circumstances keep conspiring against, like Mt Hood opened up so I had to go there.

Maybe I'll have an opportunity yet. All that snow doesn't look too bad.

TwoPaw

Post by TwoPaw » October 24th, 2020, 7:28 am

How is the road up to Stagman TH? Sedan worthy, or....?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 24th, 2020, 9:17 am

Chip,
That grassy ridge looks great. I'll have to try that next time I'm up there. Too bad about Lookingglass lake. In years past, it was such a scenic spot. Thanks for the TR, too.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 24th, 2020, 11:32 am

TwoPaw wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 7:28 am
How is the road up to Stagman TH? Sedan worthy, or....?
Our Field Guide says it's rough for a brief stretch, and indeed it was, but that was just, oh, maybe a hundred yards, and the road is wide, so I imagine a normal sedan could wind through just fine. There's a stretch where it's getting a bit overgrown. If it doesn't get trimmed, it could be a paint scratcher in another year or two. There are spots where somebody will have to back away if two cars meet, no room to pass.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 24th, 2020, 11:33 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:17 am
Too bad about Lookingglass lake. In years past, it was such a scenic spot.
I rather liked it. Have you been to Bird Lake (Yakama) since the fire? Now that's ugly!