Riverside Fire BAER map

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
aiwetir

Re: Riverside Fire BAER map

Post by aiwetir » October 11th, 2020, 10:16 am

The BAER soil burn severity data will differ from the satellite imagery as the satellite imagery will only show you what's visible to the "naked eye" from space. The satellite images will generally be the burnt crowns of trees no matter how tall they are.

I can try to run another trails/soil burn severity intersection and get a better look at where may be more impacted
- Michael

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 11th, 2020, 2:57 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 5:50 am
adamschneider wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 6:02 pm
Here's Riverside.
Thank you so much! Not to hijack the thread, but I'd love to know how you did this. As I said, I'm not very good with GIS - I hack and muddle my way through, but I keep learning about it.
It wasn't really a GIS task at all. (Despite being the creator of GPS Visualizer, I know next to nothing about technical GIS stuff. I'm just good at organizing information.) Here's what I did:

1) I opened the map in Photoshop and used the magic wand selector to remove everything outside the fire perimeter, and saved it as a PNG file with a transparent background.

2) I downloaded a KML file of the current fire perimeters from the National Interagency Fire Center's open data site and opened it in Google Earth.

3) In Google Earth, I zoomed in to the relevant area and created a new "image overlay" placemark. I loaded in the PNG file and adjusted its boundaries to match the fire perimeter from the KML file. (Sometimes it's tricky or impossible to get it to match perfectly — depending on the projection used to render the original map — but you can usually come pretty close.)

4) I saved the image overlay as its own KMZ file; .kmz files are actually ZIP archives, so the PNG file gets saved inside of it along with the .kml instructions on where to place it.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » October 11th, 2020, 6:40 pm

adamschneider wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 2:57 pm
RobFromRedland wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 5:50 am
adamschneider wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 6:02 pm
Here's Riverside.
Thank you so much! Not to hijack the thread, but I'd love to know how you did this. As I said, I'm not very good with GIS - I hack and muddle my way through, but I keep learning about it.
It wasn't really a GIS task at all. (Despite being the creator of GPS Visualizer, I know next to nothing about technical GIS stuff. I'm just good at organizing information.) Here's what I did:

1) I opened the map in Photoshop and used the magic wand selector to remove everything outside the fire perimeter, and saved it as a PNG file with a transparent background.

2) I downloaded a KML file of the current fire perimeters from the National Interagency Fire Center's open data site and opened it in Google Earth.

3) In Google Earth, I zoomed in to the relevant area and created a new "image overlay" placemark. I loaded in the PNG file and adjusted its boundaries to match the fire perimeter from the KML file. (Sometimes it's tricky or impossible to get it to match perfectly — depending on the projection used to render the original map — but you can usually come pretty close.)

4) I saved the image overlay as its own KMZ file; .kmz files are actually ZIP archives, so the PNG file gets saved inside of it along with the .kml instructions on where to place it.
Thanks for the detailed description - I looked at the kmz file (just a zip file as you said) and saw the two images. Once I saw those I assumed it was something like what you described. It never ceases to amaze me what you can do with some of these tools. There is a ton of info available to use and manipulate into a usable format.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » October 11th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Where did you get the nice source map? All I can find is a jpeggy jpeg
- Michael

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » October 11th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Never mind, I found the source data.

I added it to this interactive web map (same one I posted before, reworked a little).

https://arcg.is/000Cnz

Screen Region 2020-10-11 at 23.38.17.png

I don’t have the numbers they used to classify their data so I did the closest I could do with the time I committed to doing it which wasn’t much. I always feel like if I spend a lot of time on something like this, the feds are going to publish a similar map 10 minutes after.

There is a transparency setting buried in the layers menu

Screen Region 2020-10-11 at 23.34.24.png

OSM basemap because it’s probably the most updated we have available.

Last edited by aiwetir on October 11th, 2020, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 11th, 2020, 10:54 pm

I used a PDF from InciWeb; it was a little JPEGgy, but not too bad. Where'd you find the real McCoy?

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » October 11th, 2020, 10:57 pm

adamschneider wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 10:54 pm
Where'd you find the real McCoy?

https://fsapps.nwcg.gov/baer/baer-image ... a-download

Looks like I just have to wait for the other fires.
- Michael

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » October 12th, 2020, 6:59 am

aiwetir wrote:
October 11th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Never mind, I found the source data.

I added it to this interactive web map (same one I posted before, reworked a little).
Thank you for this! This gives a MUCH better picture of damage - it isn't good at all, but it is good to set expectations for what will be there once we are able to return to the woods.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson